0 Reactions
20 K Views
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I'd want to see 'em.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mickeypainless)

I have plans drawn up for a laminated wood lap steel but have yet to take it out to the shop. I'm gonna use walnut and ash laminated up like the skate boards we made in wood shop in the late 60's early 70's.
I plan to use plexi for my fret board and will score the underside for the frets. I have a re iss. 57 humbucker and enough pots,jacks and tuners to slap it all together. Now I just need time!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like the underscored plexi fretboard idea. I might use that on my avocado lap steel when I build it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Awesome, man! I hope to see the thing when you get done. :)

the last one I made took several months.
Ive been thinking about this off and on today .

after cutting the shape from the blank there would be mucho saw marks to sand and polish out.
that will take some time.

I am wondering if being able to see the wiring would be problematic.
back painting a design onto plexi would be an answer....Im torn.
would you want to see the guts or no.

On the Dan Armstrong I had, all the contours and angles were polished smooth (maybe with 'heat polishing'?), but the control cavity routing was left with that frosted appearance.

Of course it also had a pickguard of brown plastic.

I'm not sure about the newer BC Riches and those kinds of guitars - are they clear all the way through? I think it would be cool to have it clear, maybe with frosted control cavity, but maybe not. Clear and clear - see everything. The player's going to be the only one seeing it front-on; the audience will only see the edge of it.

So yah, completely see-through. If it looked weird you could always go back and put a design on the underside. :)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have plans drawn up for a laminated wood lap steel but have yet to take it out to the shop. I'm gonna use walnut and ash laminated up like the skate boards we made in wood shop in the late 60's early 70's.
I plan to use plexi for my fret board and will score the underside for the frets. I have a re iss. 57 humbucker and enough pots,jacks and tuners to slap it all together. Now I just need time!

We've gotta see this one too, when it's done!

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

I have mixed feelings about plexiglass fretboards, it's cool on some but not on others... Guess it depends on the rest of the style - the GeorgeBoards has a plexi fretboard and I think it kinda 'cheapens' the appearance a bit. On the other hand it's great to be able to see the wood underneath it (which is the main reason for GB to use them...). Like this:

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have mixed feelings about plexiglass fretboards, it's cool on some but not on others... Guess it depends on the rest of the style - the GeorgeBoards has a plexi fretboard and I think it kinda 'cheapens' the appearance a bit. On the other hand it's great to be able to see the wood underneath it (which is the main reason for GB to use them...). Like this:

Steinar

plexi fretboards in the wrong context or intent can look cheap. Ive see a few.
it is a good alternative to the labor intensive fret wire install on a 'standard' fretboard.
Ive made two that way. the sawing to the correct depth is tricky. then the inlay of the fret wire and subsequent clamping takes soooo much time. and it isnt really needed because of the string clearance.

one idea Ive had in mind is to cut a groove stright into the lap asteel body. then in laying it with a different colored wood.
Ive used bisquit joiners quite a bit on furniture projects. that machine cuts a clean groove. it's a flattened disc shape (oval). they use manufactured wooden bisquits that are glued. I would make my own bisquit with a darlk or light wood as the design would need.

That GB lap is very nice looking S.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yep that's a beaut!

But...I can see it completely clear. That shape, size, but with almost a 3D light-refracting depth to it.

I better have my eyes checked :)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Plexiglas steel (weird way of saying it) on eBay!

Cobalt blue, no less!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGNATONE-EMPIRE-STATE-LAP-STEEL-PLEXI-GLASS-8-STRING_W0QQitemZ7383629361QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice find. I really like the Deco Art styling.

out of my price range.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

nice find. I really like the Deco Art styling.

out of my price range.

Out of mine too :)

Kurt (from Rondo Music), see that one? Have the Brice / Agile guys build a few maybe; 6 stringers if possible (8's a little 'involved') - they will probably sell like hotcakes on eBay. Show them around Steel Guitar Forum too while you're at it. Put them out @ $249 and you'lll probably sell 50 in the first week or so. :)

Cobalt Blue plexiglass.

Blood red with gold hardware

Maybe a Forest green with gold.

Oh, and CLEAR :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

A little off topic, but that "plexilap" on eBay is sold by the same guy who sold me my Asher. One of his 'day jobs' is as guitarist and co-producer for Rickie Lee Jones.
Not that it matters, just thought I should mention it...... :lol:

Steinar

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Ive had a crush on Ricki lee for years.
that guy has one sweet life.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

So do you think the plexi belonged to him as a personal instrument, or does he have like a vintage instrument shop or something? That thing sure is sweet looking; looks in great condition too :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4