Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Lessons in Funk

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Hey All. I have always been interrested in funk progressions and think that an intro to funk lesson would be great.

Posted : 11/08/2003 8:57 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've always found the word "funk" quite amusing, because in Britain it means fear.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 11/08/2003 9:55 pm
(@Anonymous)

Heh. Yah it has a couple of meanings. It can also mean a bad mood.

Posted : 11/08/2003 10:38 pm
(@Anonymous)

Oh and I was asking for lessons in fear not the music style.  ;)

Posted : 11/08/2003 10:39 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Check out this article by strunglikeahorse:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/bass/20030307.php

Once you get past the excellent text, there are some MP3s where Paul plays some pretty good stuff. (Note, the links don't have the fancy MP3 logo)

I think we should gang up on him (er, fill his InBox ;)) and get him to write more lessons.

-Laz

Posted : 11/08/2003 10:45 pm
(@Anonymous)

Err... great article... but what does it have to do with funk music?

Posted : 12/08/2003 3:13 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

OK, so I wandered...

To me, funk is about drums and bass (yes I know there's more to it!), and Paul can lay down a good groove.  So I thought he couldwrite a good lesson.

One thing for sure, I'm not writing it! :-X

-Laz

Posted : 12/08/2003 5:50 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Any suggestions for lessons?

I think RHCP or Stevie Wonder's version of Higher Ground would be a good lesson.

Posted : 14/08/2003 4:38 pm
(@Anonymous)

Stevie would be great, as would James Brown. Funkadelic would probbaly be best left for an advance lesson.

Posted : 14/08/2003 4:49 pm
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member

Funkadelic's (or p-funk's) cosmic slop is a great example...

I myself am a fan of funk music and I can say there are not many resources on the internet generally...

Johann Sebastian Bass

Posted : 14/08/2003 8:04 pm
(@Anonymous)

Funkadelic's (or p-funk's) cosmic slop is a great example...

I myself am a fan of funk music and I can say there are not many resources on the internet generally...

If by not many you mean none at all then ya. Its sad. Funk teqnique is not even in most books.

Funkadelic is coming to Atlanta on Friday to do a free concert! Whooo Hooooo!  ;D

Posted : 14/08/2003 9:14 pm
(@preston)
Trusted Member

Let's get David to transcribe Play That Funky Music (White Boy). We can play that funky music Loud! We can lay down the Boogie and play that funky music 'til we die. 'Til we die!

Look for tabs by the Commodores (Brick House), Chain Reaction (Hot's It), and even old Joe Walsh when he was with James Gang. Funk 49 is tabbed out there in OLGA-land. I think I found Funk 54 by accident a few weeks ago. Forgot to bookmark it.
Montrose (w/Sammy Hagar) got funky. The Eagles had a Funk song on the album Long Run, but I can't think of it now.
Stevie Wonder is funky by nature.

Tina Turner loved to funk with Ike until Ike...ohhh nevermind. That didn't sound right.

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

Posted : 15/08/2003 2:47 am
(@Anonymous)

Let's get David to transcribe Play That Funky Music (White Boy). We can play that funky music Loud! We can lay down the Boogie and play that funky music 'til we die. 'Til we die!

Look for tabs by the Commodores (Brick House), Chain Reaction (Hot's It), and even old Joe Walsh when he was with James Gang. Funk 49 is tabbed out there in OLGA-land. I think I found Funk 54 by accident a few weeks ago. Forgot to bookmark it.
Montrose (w/Sammy Hagar) got funky. The Eagles had a Funk song on the album Long Run, but I can't think of it now.
Stevie Wonder is funky by nature.

Tina Turner loved to funk with Ike until Ike...ohhh nevermind. That didn't sound right.

I know Brick House already but that would make a pretty good lesson.

Posted : 15/08/2003 3:16 pm
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

Funk Guitar Lessons link:
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa091701a.htm

Hope this helps

Posted : 18/08/2003 8:57 pm
(@Anonymous)

How about something by Curtis Mayfield?

Posted : 25/08/2003 11:03 am
Page 1 / 2