4 Strings Or 5?

38 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
16.1 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Defretting that bass is a very attractive idea! I don't know if you remember it (or if you already was in the forums) Slejhamer defretted a jazz bass and painted it. There is a thread and I think he wrote an article in the main site.

The Spears in the second link is beautiful! But probably it will cost more that your upper limit.

+1 on the Greg's "b" note. I finally decided on the J-bass because it is a standard. It does not sound exactly like a J-bass Custom Shop or a MIA, they have different woods, electronics, etc. but definitely the sound is more similar than another basses, for example, an Ibanez GSR or another brand/model.

For example, the G&Ls (L-2000, L-2500) sound very good but I thought I'd need time to get a good tone. You can use it as active or pasive, you can boost the highs, the pickups are humbuckers, you can use the pickups in serial or parallel... Too many options for me!

I guess the same is applicable to the other "families": Precision, Stingray, etc.

Obviously you can always modify the sound by eq or using different techniques, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I caught that thread last year. Slej (where is he these days?) and Greg were pretty integral to making more ambitious in my techie projects, and the respray work and planned defretting are largely their faults. Thanks guys! 8) Slej was awesome with info on nitro paints and tips for spray work too; I've a couple of lengthy pms saved from him that have been added to my "techie pile"*.

*would be a techie folder, or techie book, were I remotely organized or sensible.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

One of our guys turned up for rehearsal this afternoon with a 6-string bass

Does that make things easier or just more complicated?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As Scrybe is a song writer, here are some questions that may be relevant: do any of you record with a 5-string bass - and if so, any problems getting good tone? I've heard the B-string can be ... difficult. Flabby and undefined, I suppose. Especially on low-end models. Would a 35" scale give more definition on the B? No experience myself; just things I heard when I considered a 5er.

The first bass I ever tried was owned by Marvelous Optimist - and that was a five-string. He used it on all his MP3's (he was very active in the SSG a few years back) and it was his main instrument. When I tried it, it felt a little awkward at first, but I got used to it fairly quickly.

The first bass I bought was a four-string - a cheap Freshman bass, though with a nice tone and easy action. First thing I noticed was, I really missed that low D note! I have had another bass since - another four-stringer - but my next bass will definitely be a 5-er.

Funny enough, here's a question that's never occurred to me before; does anyone down-tune a bass, either to something like drop-D - D, A, D, G - or down a full tone - to D, G, C, F?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

longer scale is def a plus for that low B. I'm not sure that even 35 in (mine) is enough, as it still sounds flabby to me. "real" bass players may have a dif opinion on that. I already know I play too hard, so maybe I need a lighter touch esp on that B. OTOH, I have tuned it to D and found that works pretty well. much nicer in my guitar-centric PoV.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Ref the Spear and similar - thru-neck designs are usually prettier, have better sustain (so they say), and are more expensive.

Before I got my Fender J-5, I was dreaming of a Carvin 5-string thru-neck and Koa body. That's why I play the lottery!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Funny enough, here's a question that's never occurred to me before; does anyone down-tune a bass, either to something like drop-D - D, A, D, G - or down a full tone - to D, G, C, F?
I'm not sure here. Another brick in a wall is played with that low-D and Roger Waters plays a Precision. I have a couple of Roger Waters' DVDs (The Wall and In The Flesh) but I don' remember if he modifies the tuning during the concert or what frets does he use. It is a good reason to watch the DVDs one more time.

However, I know that some jazz players (jazz style, not Jazz bass) use different tuning. They tune the bass in fifths rather than fourths like it is usual. I do not remember exactly who started to do it, probably a bebop player. I could review my books.

Also I have some partitures in which indicate that you must down-tune a semitone. I am not sure but I guess they are in some Stevie Ray Vaughan songs, he used to use that tuning.

(As you see I have a partial memory! I only remember a half of the issue! LOL!)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

One of our guys turned up for rehearsal this afternoon with a 6-string bass

Does that make things easier or just more complicated?

A :-)

6 or more is definitely out of the running. Can't get with the tone on any I've heard so far. I tend to think 6 string basses are for overcompensators.... :wink: :lol:

Ref the Spear and similar - thru-neck designs are usually prettier, have better sustain (so they say), and are more expensive.

Before I got my Fender J-5, I was dreaming of a Carvin 5-string thru-neck and Koa body. That's why I play the lottery!

I dunno about that. The V-DXW, in the same range, and with a lot of similar features, can be had for a meagre £349. That's only £70 more than the Squier CVibe Jazz. http://www.fretmusic.co.uk/spear-v-dxw-4-string-bass-guitar-pr-17883.html I can't imagine the V-DXE (which looks slightly purtier) could be a great deal more expensive. This company really does make some awesome awesome guitars for the prices they sell at. Korean made, but total quality. I can't recommend them highly enough.

My Spear guitar retails at £400, and for that I got:
Solid mahogany body
set-neck construction
locking tuners
seymour duncan jazz and jb humbuckers, with coil tap, and all quality electronic components
great finish and aesthetic (looks like a quirky LP-style), and awesome inlay
great neck with super-low action, gorgeous frets and a perfect nut

I'd buy these guitars to mod, only there'd be nothing to mod. Sorry if I sound preachy, but anyone wanting a guitar or bass should give them a serious checking, and they're largely unheard of.

Anyways, I have things to take care of tomorrow (hopefully, if the rain doesn't stop play again...), but I'm hoping to start trying a few basses on either tuesday or wednesday. oh yeah!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Some pics of my current basses in their current states:

DeArmond Pilot Pro V

Squier P-Bass ... in need of a little mending

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Another thing to consider with 5-strings is the string spacing; some people complain about the narrow spacing (15mm to 17mm), though you can find more now with 19mm spacing, if that suits you better. Again, try before you buy. :)

Personally I'm saving up for a Schecter Hellcat VI, a knock-off of the grossly mismarketed Fender Bass VI. It's a 30-inch scale bass, though is often confused for a baritone guitar. It's not; it's tuned an octave lower than a regular guitar. I think it would be fun to noodle on, and be very easy for chording. Not for slap funk though. :lol:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellcat-VI-Electric-Guitar?sku=520006#new

Gnease: a little glue for the Squier, paint it army green, and you can call it the "Split P(ea)."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Greg, I think there's something wrong with your post. The third picture doesn't seem to load.. :?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it was just another view of the crack anyway

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Aah....well, I think it has mojo.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm gonna give Black (the UK distributor for Spear guitars and basses) a call and see if they make direct sells and, if so, what the price is on that bass.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@lefthandbassguy)

i think you should get a standard 4 string, i think they are awesome, 5 strings just seem out of place. i would say 4 string, but either one is good

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3