4 Strings Or 5?

38 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
16.1 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

That brands seems very interesting... I was watching the web and the RFB models (J-bass) are pretty cool!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

yeah, and they're awesome quality for the price Nuno, so def check them if you're looking for a new bass/guitar anytime. can't speak for their acoustics, but the electric guitars are great. if your local stores don't stock them, the distribtuors http://www.blacki.eu/spear.html will arrange for one to be sent to your store for you to try out.

meant to call them today and totally forgot. maybe tomorrow.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Resurecting a dead thread- what did you get, Scrybe?

I've got a four string bass (BC rich) and though it's my second instrument, it's honestly getting more gig use than any of my guitars....and I find myself wondering about those spear basses you were looking at.

The spear factory is here in town (I'm in Seoul) so in local shops, they aren't too expensive...do I need a 5 string?

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@derek-wilkerson)
Estimable Member

i have a four string sunburst P-bass from Indiana guitar that i love. i love the sound i get from it. indiana also makes a jazz bass with 2 pickups, and and a decent looking acoustic/electric bass (you would have to buy phosphor bronze bass strings for it though). here is their website incase you are interested. http://www.indianaguitar.com/index.php
the only thing i dont like that they make is the graphic guitars with the weird designs..i dont know..just not my style i guess. they are in fact made in china for the most part, but it is EXCELLENT quality. i like my P-bass better than some fender P-bass's. the action on mine is really low (lower than some electric guitars ive seen) and i get no fret buzz at all. the pickups they come with provide an enormous tonal palette you can expirament with..even with just one split pickup. the quality of wood is nice (solid alder, not sure what grade though..). the maple fretboard on mine is flawless. the only complaint i have about mine is when i got it, one of the pickups was loose inside the plastic cover, but a little plastic-->metal modelling glue solved the problem. the tone and volume pots are great quality, the nut and bridge are great quality. the tuners are ROCK SOLID vintage style open gears. the neck is straight, no bends or curves or any defects that i can possibly see. the frets are medium jumbo i believe.. great quality. black dot inlays, white pickguard, etc.. the cable jack is dependable and easily worked on if you need to. its a great looking guitar, it fits nice on my body, great for big handed tall players, the action is smooth and the neck is razor fast, and the sound is amazing. time after time ive come back to indiana guitars to buy (i have 3 of them). i only paid $180 for my bass not counting shipping. a great buy in my opinion.

another great bass ive played was a peavey T-20. great sound, although the urethane on the neck and fretboard was not of my taste.. otherwise, great bass. you can pick up a used one for about $220-$320 depending on condition, and health of the instrument, finish, etc..

hope this was helpful and influential on your purchase decision.

Derek.

ps. i see this is an old thread, i am so sorry for not noticing that before i posted! in any case i hope this post is helpful anyways!

bassist for the crux
Randall RB-125-115 120 watt 15" eminence spk.
Randall RBA 500
2X Acoustic B115's
Peavey T-40
Indiana P-bass

ReplyQuote
(@barbque-bob)

I have a four, five and a six stirng fretless, just depends on the venue and the tune. I've been partial to the five when playing blues, I like that nice fat sound on some tunes.

ReplyQuote
(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member

I have a mim fender jazz bass 5 string with 130g set of strings on it and it sounds great plays great and is heavy I really like it and for awhile I had a high b string instead of a low sounded kinda cool I play mostly primus and primus style on it if u can't find a fender get the squire warwick makes a good rock bass but I'm not sure what they sell for the bass player in my band has one and it is really nice

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@kommando84)

I got bitten by the 5-string bug two years ago, and ever since I bought my 5 string Washburn, I've regretted it. I'd probably be singing a different tune if I played in a band that detuned to open B or something like that, but for my fairly radio-friendly tastes, the 4 stringer does all I need it to do. So much drama finding a good B string, and I did play some of the high-end ones in my search. It's weird, but I honestly think my ears just don't find that low of a sound appealing, regardless of the soundness of the construction of the bass. It's probably just a taste thing.

All of this to say, if it was me and I didn't NEED the fifth string direly, I'd avoid it.

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I play only a 4 string. Once in a while I would like to have a deeper D, but I get over it.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3