Clear all

????

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@24frets)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I am just starting to play bass but don't have a bass guitar ( I play on a regular guitar.  Is that okay?)  How much difference is there between a regular and bass guitar, and should i spend the money a bass?  If so, what should i get?

Stupidity is wit for the simple-I think I made that up

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Playing a guitar will give you a very good foundation for learning bass, but there's no way that you can learn bass on guitar.  If you want to play the bass, you have to get a bass.  There are a lot of similarities between the guitar and bass, but the differences are such that you can't learn one on the other.  I started out on guitar - learning to play it as a guitar -  but when I took up bass as well, I still had a lot of learning to do about the bass before I was anywhere near decent.  The heavy strings, the string spacing, and the technique all make the bass a different instrument.  Since you have a guitar, just focus on learning to play it the way it's meant to be played for now, and then get a bass as soon as you can.  You will not learn to play the bass, but by playing a similar instrument, you can get a head start.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Okay, but is there some other kind of thing you can play on a six-string that's kinda like bass(cuz we have 3 six-strings our band)
And what kind of bass do you think i should get?

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You've definately got plenty of guitars.  If I had a situation like that, I'd probably put some thick strings on my guitar (I just read another post that contemplated that) and tune a little lower to get a bit more range.  That would require some nut reshaping and a setup, not too bad on an electric, a little harder on an acoustic.  Then I'd do lower chords an harmony with that, have another guitar do chords higher, and make the remaining two take a melody and harmony line.

I assume that's a lot more work than you want to go to.  Just raise the low guitar part up a little.  With clever arranging it shoould work.  Maybe one guitar could play clean and do some rhythm playing, another some distorted power chords, and the other two act as before.

Not much like a bass, but it should be a good sound.

I have a Squier (not one of the super crappy ones) P bass with a P bass neck pickup and a J bass bridge pickup.  I recommend getting one with two pickups, it's more versatile that way.  It ran me about two hundred to two fifty US dollars.  Not quite sure how much.  The important thing is to find a bass that feels god in your hands, looks good to you, and sounds good to you.  Just try a bunch of them out.  You'll find one you like.

ReplyQuote