Clear all

A couple of beginner questions...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@badblood909)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello people, I've decided to get a bass guitar, hopefully in 2-3 months.

I've been "playing" the guitar since mid-summer, and I have a couple of questions.

1)I want to play the basslines of some bands I like, so I was wondering how many strings are used in Symphony X and Tool...

Also, is it a safe bet to say that with a 5 string, I'll be able to try *most* of the stuff out there?

2) Seeing that this is my first bass, I don't want something TOO expensive, but nothing bad quality, is it possible to find a good 5-string bass guitar for 350$ or less? I can manage to get a perfect working amp off my cousin.

3) What are some bands with easy (But not boring) bass lines, I think Red Hot Chilly Peppers fall under that, but what else?

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You should be able to play most things with a five string.  Except for strange people who play six strings and fretless basses (that one is me), almost everyone makes music playable on five (usually only four) strings.

ReplyQuote
(@elgalad)
Eminent Member

Unfortunately, I can only answer no. 3.  The Red Hot Chili Peppers have some really interesting (and some quite difficult) bass lines.  I'm not sure what your skill level is, but I'd suggest 'Californication' and also 'The Zephyr Song.'  Maybe 'Can't Stop' if you feel like a challenge or 'By The Way' if you really wan't to look like a cool bass player.  Flea uses a 4-string for all of these, but there's no reason you can't play them on a 5-string.

Later :)
Brad

Use the Big Muff, Luke

ReplyQuote