Clear all

Advise on Pickup - on CHeapie

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys, as previously mentioned I have a fairly cheap Bass - that will be replaced when I have some of that elusive disposable income!

Anyway have a look at the attached picture. See the Gifford thumb near the pickup. That is the most comfortable pos for me - however notice the metal screw on the pickup. It hurts my thumb after a while. (in comparison the pickup to the right has a nice smooth top!

I was thinking of getting some two part epoxy/putty and moulding it over the screw so I have a smooth surface to lean the thumb. The problem with that is that I would probably never be able to remove the pickup again (not that I am planning to).

Has anyone any advise on what to do here?

Stan

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I have a pickup screw that's very similar; it's a cheapie screw so the screw-slots are a little rough and stick out a bit. I got a small piece of electrical tape and placed it over the screw head and now the rough spot doesn't scrape the side of my thumb.

ReplyQuote
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a pickup screw that's very similar; it's a cheapie screw so the screw-slots are a little rough and stick out a bit. I got a small piece of electrical tape and placed it over the screw head and now the rough spot doesn't scrape the side of my thumb.

Dooh - that is just too simple!

Thanks - Stan

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Don't shoot me for saying this...but you could always use a pick.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How remis of me - I did get a solution that works very well.

See the picture attached.

What it is is one of 2 (for the price I had to get a spare) thumb rests.

Cost is $au2.50 - although I had to ring most music shops in Sydney until I found one who had them in stock.

Two nice brass screws and Mr Dremel and voila - a good solution.

Now all I need is to be able to play.....

Actually I am still going thru Davids book and am slowly mastering things - such as scales and Silent night - holy night

The CHords really stretch my thick chubby hands however - but I will prevail!

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

That extra stretch on those frets is a bugger, about a week ago my fingers suddenly decided it was OK to reach that far, it seemed almost like an overnight change when it happened.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That's good simple solution - and it looks good too.

ReplyQuote