Notifications
Clear all

Almost bought a Bass Collection SpeakEasy yesterday

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@maniagoss251)
Topic starter  

New to the bass-side here, but long time Hodge follower - yup..."Horse with no name" was near my guitar beginning....
Anyone got one of these Bass Collections actives of the new Chinese era (not the old Nanyo of Japan... :cry:

http://www.basscentre.com/cat/index.php?manufacturers_id=33&osCsid=dbcdafc6021607adb389ebd9ad83a02a

Seem to be a good piece by the reviews: sunburst made of bass wood/maple/rosewood, balanced, light; but fit/finish and durability might not be up to snuff. Need some advice pls.

However, when I told the wife about it, her eye twinkled and she said "will you teach me to play it?" Now is that license to buy, or what? :D

Cheers M.

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Looks pretty decent for the money. Look around and see what else may come up.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@maniagoss251)
Topic starter  

Hey, I was just searching around, and I noticed that the Base Collection Speakeasy looks an aweful lot like the SX SB-301. Can anyone comment on this for sure? The Base Centre in London has the Speakeasy for about $550; Rondo in NJ has the -301 for about $130.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bass-Guitar-Bass-Collection-P-and-Jazz-SX-SB301-BK_W0QQitemZ220053838090QQihZ012QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do I smell a rat or are they really different?

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

It's true that due to import restrictions, pricing and availability is different in different countries. Only Coca-Cola costs the same everywhere...

You should be able to find a nice beginner P/J bass for $200-300. Less may be "cheap" although the low-cost ones get better every day. For $500+ you can get a very nice bass. A lot of players here like Ibanez and Yamaha entry-level basses.

And yes, getting the wife to play music with you is an excellent long term plan!

ReplyQuote