Clear all

Another new Bass - plus queries on David's book

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys, I have put a brief intro in the intro section.

I have a inexpensive (read cheap) bass and I am determined to learn how to play - lesson 1 - stretch stubby fingers!

ANyway when I followed the link to Amazon to look at David's book, Amazon also recommended Bass Guitar for Dummies by Patrick Pfeiffer.

In OZ unless I can get the books locally AMazon is not a bad place to purchase - apart from the appalling shipping costs.

Anyway to cut to the chase - any recomendations for the dummies book - or should I just save my hard earned and get David's book?

All the best

Stan

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You could check out the Bass Lessons section on this site.....

One of the first things I found was a really good tab for "Walk On The Wild Side" - tricky, but playable.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

on this site you're not going to get anything but recommendations for dave's book!

ReplyQuote
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Re Pearlthekat - I think you misunderstand.

1. I will get David's book regardless.

2. The question is - should I bother with the other one?

Thanks for the responses guys.

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you're definitely set on buying David's book, I'd settle for that for the moment - one book at a time is enough to concentrate on. You'll be surprised how much you pick up from just messsing around on bass.....in the moments when you put the book down, and just play.....

What worked for me....putting a lot of favourite songs on WM Library. Put it on shuffle, and try and play along with whatever comes on, might not work for everybody, but it did for me....they were songs I knew well, knew the chords....or at least the tune. So I tried to play along - I might not always get it perfect, but I was always close .....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

David's book seems very complete and covers the basics, I generally like the 4 dummies books and the ones I've read have been well written, but after browsing the table of contents at amazon, they cover very much the same information using about the same number of pages in close to the same order, so I doubt you'd get much extra value out of having both, so obviously, get david's book.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, David's book will keep you busy and teach you everything the other one does. Amazon is simply packaging another similar book with your search and trying to get you to spend more money. Buying the other book would be a waste of money, imho. Buy David's book and if you need to spend more cash, buy some music!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

A couple of the reviews at Amazon compare David's book and the Dummies book. One says David's goes into more theory, which is a good thing, but that they are both very good books. The other review says David's is much better.

I haven't seen the Dummies book but it gets positive comments over at Talkbass, so I'd bet it's not bad at all.

Personally I think David's book plus some of the lessons on this site (Laz's box, in particular) will get you far along, especially as you begin to apply the theory and techniques in David's "jam along" improvisations.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@stang)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well fwiw I ordered both - should be here in 2 weeks - even thou it's downhill al the way to OZ it still takes some time.

Have been working thru Wheats Bassbook until they get here and practicing Riff #1 (smoke.....).

It seems I was awake during some of my daughters lead guitar lessons cause I did manage the plucking of 1&2 (G&D) on the (would you call it a two note chord) section.

The big hassle I have with the other scales etc is stretching from fret 5 to fret 8 - pinky is just a tiny bit short - I assume fingers will loosen up but is there any other 'trick' that others with the same difficulty use?

All the best

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Keep your knuckles parallel to the neck, and practice, you'll naturally be able to stretch more over time.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Keep your knuckles parallel to the neck, and practice, you'll naturally be able to stretch more over time.

Also keep the neck up, classical style. It'll help keep your wrist in a good position.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote