Clear all

Bass amp problem

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My brother got a bass amp and just recently when he plugged the bass into the amp he got no sound out of the amp except a loud buzzing noise. After that, there was no sound at all, he said he tried switching cords but there was still no sound. Does anyone know what the problem might be, or (because i figure there could be lots of problems) what are some things we could try to figure out what is wrong with it?

Steve-0

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Try plugging another instrument into it, or if there isn't an instrument, plug the cord into the amp, hold the other end of the plug in our (or his) hand, and with the volume almost all the way off, tap the tip of the plug a few times to see if there's a buzz every time it's touched. It's just to see if there's any kind of signal getting through. It might be that the input jack on the bass has a loose wire or something.

If that's not the case, then plug the bass in and tap the plug on the amp-side to see if maybe it's loose.

What kind of amp and bass is it?

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Make sure it isn't an active pickups-only bass. I that case it would need a 9V battery to work.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

This seems kinda funny, but since there was a loud pop, see if the amp smells like smoke or burning plastic. Something could have shorted. Also, if it has a removable fuse, see if the fuse is blown.

ReplyQuote