Notifications
Clear all

bass amps/cabinets

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@flipstrings)
Topic starter  

well I've just attained a 300watt behringer amp and I originaly though about pairing it with a 600watt, 10inch speaker behringer cabinet.
BUT I have been told I'm safer getting a higher watt amp than cabinet--- that sounds like porky pies to me but I thought maybe that getting a higher watt cab than amp might help the sound quality and also lower the chance of the speaker blowing....It would be most appreciated if someone got my drift and cleared this up for me? please

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

No, you're right; better to have more speaker wattage than amp wattage. I mean, push the example to the extreme: putting an Ampeg SVT bass head through the little 1" speaker in your computer would give you what?

Total fuzz. :)

ReplyQuote
(@flipstrings)
Topic starter  

Thanks man, I really needed help with that cause it was a of a dodgy - I thought the guy was more experienced than me but no he could be just being a jerk ....thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

There is no need to have them match exactly, unless you're planning to run everything at the max volume, overdriven, with no dynamics at all. So your 300W amp will work fine with the 600W cabinet, but you won't get more than 300W peak out of it.

The general guideline is "The amp can be up to 2X bigger than the speaker's program rating, so long as it is less than the speaker's peak rating." If the speaker's rating is not clarified, it is usually the "program" rating. So you could use a 150W cabinet with your 300W amp and it should work fine as well.

The biggest hazard to a speaker is driving the amplifier into clipping.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@flipstrings)
Topic starter  

300watts was all I was really looking out of it - I just can't find a behringer cab lower than 600watt at the moment. Its fine though because I'll get the 600watt cab anyway and go with my instinct (thanks for feuling the instinct guys...) and if need be in a few years I can uprate the head to a 600watt or so...

ReplyQuote
(@flipstrings)
Topic starter  

I know I'm being picky and annoying again, but will the 300watt amp have enough power to 'drive' the speaker .... if not would it be better to get the 2x10" 600watt cab than the 1x15" one?

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I know I'm being picky and annoying again, but will the 300watt amp have enough power to 'drive' the speaker .... if not would it be better to get the 2x10" 600watt cab than the 1x15" one?

Try this: https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=166

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@flipstrings)
Topic starter  

thanks laz for the tips..... that article's a good read and it helped me out a good bit!

I promise this is the last time I'll bug you guys about amps
....thanks

Darragh

ReplyQuote