Bass Chord Charts

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
16.4 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know online where one can snag a bass chord chart?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

1 - 3 - 5

1 - b3 - 5

1 - 3 - 5 - 7

etc.

Apply anywhere you need 'em.

;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Get a fretboard chart, find the root note you want. Memorize the below pattern.

Pattern 1
6-7R
34-5
-R-2

and this pattern is also useful

Pattern 2
-7R--
4-5-6
R-2-3

The above patterns are the positions to play for each chord. Converted to a tab here is an A chord

Pattern 1 Pattern 2
G---------- G----------
D---------7 D---------7
A----4-7--- A------5---
E--5------- E--5-9-----

Or here is Am

Pattern 1 Pattern 2
G---------- G----------
D---------7 D---------7
A----3-7--- A------5---
E--5------- E--5-8-----

E shaped moveable chords work fine on a bass but generally it seems to make more sense to memorize the relative positions of intervals on the fretboard and build the chords from individual notes. I wish I could offer advice on how to avoid making things sound repetitive.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

A few more sources:

http://www.haarslevefterskole.dk/acrobat/bass_chords.pdf

and

http://wheatsbassbook.org/chapter_select.php?chapter=015

But still, know your intervals.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Don't know if this'll help Roy, but when I first picked up the four-stringed beastie, I thought almost exclusively in terms of guitar chords......say I was playing a blues in E - E, A and B7 - I'd be playing around with the bass notes in those chords. At first, it'd just be the bottom two strings - root and fifth....then I started experimenting with the D and G strings.

As long as you know the notes on the fretboard, you can apply them to bass-lines.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone. I think I get what's going on with this. Now to explain it to the kid......

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Ooooh, nice slej, I like that bass chords reference, I think I'm going to re-arrange that a bit, and print it off for reference for a few different patterns I don't tend to think of (I tend not to think of chord inversions when I look for a way to play a chord... I need to work on that).

And of course another yay for wheats bass book, I think reading through that was one of the things that got my bass GAS attack started... either that or I was spending way too much time studying bass at work on the internet...

ReplyQuote