Clear all

bass compression

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@keith_uk)
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

Ive been playing about 30 yrs, and have always loved bass.

I bought a Yamaha bouble pick up bass and have only just started playing again.

I did a lot of studio work with modules before then, and used midi bridges on guitars to trigger samples and stuff.

I wanted to ask this.

I love the sound of the bass, and have used a Boss compression box b4, on a guitar, but wanted to know if there was software and hardware for me to DI a bass into a laptop, and then into the amp?
So I can make a lot of different sounds and adjustments, compression being the most important to me.

I use currently a 100w Laney Klipp amp for practice, but Im looking at the Hartke combo 15inch with EQ, (250w) for performance? I tried one and the EQ was amazing, but I also love the old valve sound, and want to maybe make simple and slight tonal changes to the bass I use, which I love dearly.
But I don't see why I should go and re-buy loads of pedals if a laptop can do that for me? Any thoughts??

Please don't throw tomatoes at the screen, it just seems logical to me, :)

TY,

Keith UK

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Great question Keith UK! Welcome to the GN boards. I have no experience what-so-ever with that type of setup, but maybe Laz or someone else does. I look forward to you relating your experience here.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I think that if you had a really good computer, where there wasn't any latency or lag between the input and output to the amp (this is for live playing, right?), then you could probably use one of the popular recording type software titles that are available these days. Then you could use some of the effects plugins that are widely available for download. Just go straight in through the mixer portion of the software, add the effects as you would if you were mixing a track, but just go straight out without recording.

It should work.

But there are also a bunch of different single-rack space multi-effects that you could use just as well. Or...one with just compression/limiting presets and user settings.

Lots of folk here with tons of experience with this stuff. Me? I'm still pretty much analog.

Welcome to the boards!

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Yeah, see that's why I did not mention Demo, cause he's analog. :wink:

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@keith_uk)
Topic starter  

Hah!

Ty guys,

I have been looking around the web and trying to find a live feed device that allows manipulation of a DI device, i.e. Bass guitar.

It appears this might be it??

http://uk.line6.com/toneport/index.html

Let me know if anyone has any experience with this? Please.
Meanwhile I'll keep on looking. :)

And ty for your welcome to the boards!

Keith_uk

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

My ears are burning...

This question might be best answered in the "In the Studio" forum, where the use of computers is discussed in more detail. I'm not going to move this, but you might post again over there.

As for the Line6, those guys certainly know about effects and modelling, but it wasn't clear if they will let you use your own plugins.

97reb - it's an analog world!

Laz

ReplyQuote