Clear all

Budget bass suggestions

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Looking for a second bass - 4 string- for my son. He can play a full size/ full scale so were not limited there.
Needs to be $200 and below and new. Looking for opinions on the best bass in that range. He has an entry level Ibanez and we aren't looking for another Ibanez.

So far, I'm considering:

Dean Edge 1
Washburn XB120Q
ESP B-50
Squier MB-4
Yamaha RBX 270

Style is an issue. He wants a modern style bass. Not interested in the classic P or J bass look .... basically, he doesn't like the look of the basses with the pickguards, so those styles are out.

Any and all opinions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Here's a kind of cool one:

http://www.rondomusic.net/sb301.html

ReplyQuote
(@justin)
Eminent Member

I'd go with the Rbx 270. first of all its sutable for almost any genre. It has most of the features you would ever need such as a p/j pu combination, the neck is sleek and comfortable with 24 frets. Finaly it's affordable and it'll last. Washburns are usualy overpriced. Dean i have no experience with, the ltd is good quality construction but the pu's dont sound to great and its a but heavy. And dont get me started with Squiers.
I'm currently stuch with one now and i had to replace every thing except for the body the neck (replaced the fretwire, it wares fast.)

By the way, whats with DemoEtc and rondosound?

ReplyQuote
 R3d
(@r3d)
Trusted Member

I can't speak for Demo, but I bought a bass from Rondo and have been really happy with it. Their service was great - answered heaps of questions promptly, etc. The quality vs cost is good. Yes, there are better instruments, but if you're on a budget I'd definitely recommend Rondo's basses.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I'd go with the Rbx 270. first of all its sutable for almost any genre. It has most of the features you would ever need such as a p/j pu combination, the neck is sleek and comfortable with 24 frets. Finaly it's affordable and it'll last. Washburns are usualy overpriced. Dean i have no experience with, the ltd is good quality construction but the pu's dont sound to great and its a but heavy. And dont get me started with Squiers.
I'm currently stuch with one now and i had to replace every thing except for the body the neck (replaced the fretwire, it wares fast.)

By the way, whats with DemoEtc and rondosound?

You mean, why do I always suggest their instruments and site? It's because I'm basically cheap (and I don't mind admitting it), and when I find a product that's cheap AND pretty good quality, it sticks in mind. Then if someone else asks about 'cheap and pretty good' the name comes up.

Plus I had really good, fast service from them. I only bought the one instrument, but the first impression was a good one.

Oh, and if you meant Rotosound instead of rondosound, then yah, I like Rotos too :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ddave)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies all. I checked out that SX at rondo and it was tempting for the price. But in the end, I went with what I know. Got him a Dean Edge 1, new for $200. I know Dean instruments some, I own several Dean guitars and basses, and I figured it would be a safe bet even though I spent a little more than I originally set out to. It is a very nice bass, period. I like the stock PUPs too. It's a dual soapbar config. and they are Dean labeled pups. The bottom end is solid and they are clear as a bell. I was really impressed for the price.
It's definitely a step up and then some from his Ibanez. It's a quality instrument and my son is happy which is what really counts.

Again, thanks all.

ReplyQuote