Can I use my acoustic amp for my bass?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
14.4 K Views
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have, what I consider, a very nice acoustic guitar amp. It is a Genz Benz SHEN100 Shenandoah 100.
( http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1412&sid=420&cid=94 )

Due to finances, I am not really able to go out and buy a separate amp for my bass playing, and I don't want to get rid of the acoustic amp. I do have a bit of money and found a great deal on a 4x10 bass cabinet (Hartke 410 XL).

I know I can buy a basic "combo" bass amp for the same amount as the speaker cabinet, but ultimately, I do want to get a bass amp... but need to work my way up to it.

My question is... is there any dangers/concerns in using my acoustic amp to play my bass through? Is it okay to use on its own, without an external speaker cabinet? Is it okay if I use it to power an external speaker cabinet? Will it sound okay with the external cabinet, or is the circuitry in a acoustic amp not made at all for playing bass through?

I understand this is not the "best" solution... but, will it do for now until I can afford to get a bass amp?

My playing ranges from "on my own" practice, to group practice/gigging to small stage.

Any advice/recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I can't tell if the cabinet is sealed or open in the back. If it's open, you need to watch your volume, as extended low freqs can damage an open speaker. If it's sealed, then you should be fine at most volumes, with the understanding the the EQ etc won't be well matched to bass. GenzBenz makes some nice bass amps, too. If/when you get the 4x10, you can use that as an external with no issues.

Have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Lue42
I am using my Ibanez acoustic 35W "Troubadour" amp with my bass.
This amp is more or less identical to the Ibanez 35W bass amp, same amplifier and widerange speaker.
The major difference is that the troubadour amp has a XLR mic input and 3 Band EQ w/ Sweepable Mid Frequencies.

An acoustic guitar amp is much more similar to bass amp than a guitar amp.
It has the same frequency response as a bass amp (higher than a guitar amp), similar to a PA system.
The only difference could be that a bass amp has a "deeper" frequency response below 100Hz.

The risk that you will destroy the acoust. amp using a bass guitar is very small.
Your amp has a “Soft Limit” Circuitry that will protect the speaker at higher sound levels.
The 100W output power will be enough for group practice and small stage gigs.

/kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@shake-your-bottom)

It really depends if you plan to gig with the amp. The bass should sound great through that amp at practice levels but if you are trying to keep up with your guitar player and drummer at a live gig then something is going to blow. Bass frequencies easily need four times the energy that a guitar uses and you would have to get the other guys to keep their volume reasonable.

Bass Guitar String

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I have a Marshall MG10CD

that came in the package with my Jackson. It has a closed back, and I never turn up the volume more than to just hear myself play. Would this suffice for a bass, using it in the same way, low practice volume? Or should I go with a bass amp? I was thinking (when the time comes) of the Marshall MB15.

I know a lot of people have bad things to say about Marshall, but at this point in my playing, I can't really justify anything more $$.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

lue, I was wondering if it would have a specially voiced speaker, and there it is, within your link:

• 2 Identical Channels w/ XLR and 1/4" Inputs
• All Input Signals Mix Together
• 3 Band EQ w/ Sweepable Mid Frequencies
• Powerful 100 Watt Fan Cooled Power Amp
• Phantom Power
• Unique “Soft Limit” Circuitry
• Alesis™ DSP w/ 15 Preset Digital Effects
• Custom Voiced 12" Loudspeaker <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
• Compression Bullet Tweeter w/ Level Control
• Excellent Stage Monitor w/ 3 Separate Direct Out Sends (Ch.1, Ch.2, Ch.1 & 2)
• Convenient “Tilt-Back” Cabinet Design
• Speaker Stand Mountable
• Protective Metal Speaker Grille
• New Dramatic Styling

Sooo, hmm, IMO you should consider changing the speaker to something more robust and bass-worthy - lots of suggestions and 'Celestions' in a good price range.

Yes, your amp should handle the bass now, but will not optimize potential, and as they've said, keep the volume down, certainly less than the blast that is possible. I wouldn't know how to adjust or minimize the tweeter, but I wouldn't really want it to function; just me? :?

Your circuitry will be fine, so would it be possible to just get a nice new or used cab, or rig something with a preferred 15", just in case you cut loose?!! :D

And Minotaur, you're a free person to do what you want, and to keep what amp you have. Yep, it could do for bass at minimal, just audible volumes; but I'm sure that the MB15 would be a great investment if & when you decide to go for it. My family has already had that one, or it's predecessor, and enjoyed it very much - pretty stout for a little gaffer - I liked to crank it for guitar, more than bass! :wink:

P.S. I measured the Marshall routinely at over 120 decibels with clean, loud guitar, possibly 126 or so.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

And Minotaur, you're a free person to do what you want, and to keep what amp you have. Yep, it could do for bass at minimal, just audible volumes; but I'm sure that the MB15 would be a great investment if & when you decide to go for it. My family has already had that one, or it's predecessor, and enjoyed it very much - pretty stout for a little gaffer - I liked to crank it for guitar, more than bass! :wink:

P.S. I measured the Marshall routinely at over 120 decibels with clean, loud guitar, possibly 126 or so.

This is good to hear about the MB15, as well as using the MG10. At some point I would definitely go for the MB15. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I have the MB30. I was also checking the 15 watts and I went for the 30 watts version. A bass needs much more power to sound than a guitar and it also needs a larger cone diameter for the low tones. There is not a considerable deference in the price in those amps, perhaps you could consider it as an option.

I bought it because I got a very good deal and it is not a big amp. I have some problems with the room at home so it was my best option. But it wasn't the best sound that I hear in an amp.

Hope it helps!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

perhaps you could consider it as an option.

Yes, I shall! :D

ReplyQuote