Clear all

Essential items for a first bass?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kjlower039)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What are some of the stuff that you need when you get a bass... I already have a chromatic tuner that I use for my guitar if they are the same thing... I have a cable for the amp, and a guitar amp. What else do I need? Strings? a stand? what else?

(@margaret)
Noble Member

I don't know much about amps, but I do know that a bass can blow a guitar amp. They differ one from the other. Open cabinet vs. closed cabinet is one diff, I think, plus size of cone, etc. So check out what you've got to see if it'll accommodate a bass.

Chromatic tuner should work for both guitar and bass--at least mine does.

You'll want a strap, too. I got an extra wide one with a little padding to help support the extra weight of the bass. Although, I'm thinking my new bass doesn't weigh much more than my strat. May weigh them just out of curiosity.

Maybe a case or gig bag? I keep my guitars in cases when I'm not playing due to the antics of kids and pets. But maybe you won't need a case yet if you keep it on a stand. But it's a bargaining chip you can get them to throw in at a cut rate if you're dealing on a whole set up.

Speaking of a set-up, get them to throw in a free set-up including new strings of your choice.

You'll probably want a book or two. Have you heard that David Hodge's bass book is due out in just a little over a week? Several of us here have pre-ordered it through Amazon.com. This link should take you there: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592573118/theonlineguitarc/102-9641469-8407319

Sounds like you are on the verge of going shopping ???

Have fun, and good luck!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Yep, a good strap is a must.

A music stand if you'll be playing standing up.

And Hodge's book for sure. It has "jam along" songs that will get you playing and thinking like a bass player faster than traditional "method" books. Laz's lessons on the main GN page are also a great resource.

Some people use a guitar amp as a practice amp, but a bass amp might sound better. Buy used and save some coin.

If you're going to play with a pick, get some heavy ones. I like the warm tone of the 2mm Dunlop delrins, but buy a bunch and see what works for you.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Sorry to veer off-topic momentarily, but since I mentioned the weight of my bass vs my guitar (in reference to strap choice) above, I'm posting this here.

Just weighed my Ibanez bass and my Hwy One Strat, and they weigh the same, as closely as my scale can tell. It's not a digital scale, however, so isn't as exact as some, but according to my scale, they each weigh about 7 and a half pounds.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

Strap. Lock on ones are nice.
Chromatic tuner. Absolutely necessary, unless you have perfect pitch.
Metronome. Bass is all about the pulse.
Picks. Buy some, and give them to your guitar playing friend. You don't need them.
Good case. All depends on how much you plan on traveling with it.
Music stand. Useful whether you're sitting or standing.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Regarding a music stand---if you can afford one of the heavier ones, do it from the git-go.

The flimsy silver ones tip over, and are a general pain in the derrierre.

I finally invested in a heavier black one and love it. The music tray can be adjusted to various angles, it can rotate left and right, and it doesn't tip over when I have a lot of books open at once.

Margaret

ReplyQuote