Clear all

Greatest Tacit/Rest in Rock?

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I realise this is more of a general question than a bass one so I apologise in advance.

The question though is what it the greatest tacit/rest in rock, for my money it's in Immigrant song by Led Zeppelin.

el_warko

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

what's a tacit?

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Thats a very strange question.

A tacit is a rest basically. A place where no note is played. At least thats what I think it is, I seem to remember it as that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hmm. I dont know. Immigrant Song is a good one.

I have no idea.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A record was once released, which consisted of 3 minutes of absolute silence. That's got to be the longest, if not the best.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

A tacet, in sheet music, is a section where every insturment plays exactly the same thing. Many modern jazz charts have a section in them which is a tacet, acting as a bridge in the song.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

If you want the best rest, I'd vote for the rest right before "romeo and juliet, samson and delilah" Fire by Bruce Springsteen.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

A tacet, in sheet music, is a section where every insturment plays exactly the same thing. Many modern jazz charts have a section in them which is a tacet, acting as a bridge in the song.
Are you sure you don't mean "tutti"?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've always like the area of silence (or echo) in Aerosmith's "living on the edge", even though it's not complete silence like in the immigrant song but i think it's pretty cool (if you know what i'm talking about). This truly is an odd question.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@el_warko)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

greetings all

some of you believe me to be completely doolally, i'm fine with that.

The whole point of this question was to see how people viewed silence in music.

Silence can be a very effective tool in ones musical arsenal. It is a noise (or lack of) and can be every bit as effective as the perfect chord/cadential progression.

To my mind, the silence in immigrant song is like a cresting wave, an eye in a storm, a brief respite from the onslaught, before the wave/storm/onslaught begins anew. It's a perfect break and I think the song would be terrible without it.

el_warko

ReplyQuote
(@kitsune)

argentinian avant garde band Reynols first album was just an empty CD case (or so I've heard). how's THAT for the best rest ever? :)

there's also about 2 beats in the B'z song "It's Showtime" where there's nothing but the vocals and it works just so amazingly well. Likewise for Oomph's "Augen Auf." I love those unexpected rests that you know are there but always forget about when you're singing along and look like a fool in front of your friends.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

One of my favorites is in the River of Dreams, by Billy Joel.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote