11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, whats up?
This is a real useful forum.
Anyway, my qucik little question is: a couple of my band mates want me to use a pick instead of my finger.
I'm guessing they want me to do that for the sound, cuz I've come accustomed to using my finger and I'm as good as anyone I know, when I picked up a pick again(haven't used one since I started cuz I wanted to just get the feel of it) it seemed highly foreign to me.
Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

G-Bass
Play bass, it just plain rules!

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I think that a pick is a nice way to get a sharp sound when you want one.  Another alternative would be using your fingernails if that's more comfortable, but you can play a little harder with a pick.  I recommend a compromise: use a pick when the song seems to need the distinctive sound of a pick, and your fingers the rest of the time.  As the bassist, you should really be the one deciding how you play, but of course you have to accomodate the people you work with.  When you do pick, wear your bass high enough that you can pick from the elbow, it's better for your joints, and easier to play that way.

ReplyQuote
(@strunglikeahorse)
Eminent Member

I wouldn't say change your playing style completely to either picked nor fingered.  There is a time and a place for both methods :)  Pick bass is way more suited to rock as you can really keep up with the pace of the song alot easier and your fingers won't get so knackered when playing like, solid 16ths and stuff like that (well, this is what i find anyway!).  But yeah, I think to be equipped to play using both methods is well worth the effort.

Who sucked out all my mids?!

http://www.soundclick.com/chimpspanner

ReplyQuote
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice.
I agree most bassists use picks in our genre (rock, punk) but then again who says it's bad to break away from the norm?
I'll try to go half way, which is what Paul suggested; using the pick for songs which are faster, and using my fingers for songs which are slower more relaxed...now where did I put that pick?:P...

G-Bass

ReplyQuote
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member

Hello,

In my opinion, in order to decide if or not to play a certain song with a pick is to be decided by you.

Some songs sound better with a pick, some don't. I personally never use a pick. I only use coins ;). I prefer plain old fingerstyle eitherway:)

Cheers

Johann Sebastian Bass

ReplyQuote
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Brother Jack.
I really appreciate this you guys, thanks a lot.
Hey, I might even use coins too!, thanks for the suggestion :D

G-Bass

ReplyQuote
(@mhxanhma)
Eminent Member

:) You might also want to try using a screwdriver, if you intend to change your strings. Sliding the screwdriver on a string makes it sound like a violin!

Johann Sebastian Bass

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What's the bass guitar standard tuning?  I assume it's the same as the guitar.  But I'd like to makes sure

ReplyQuote
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think you'll have to be more specific on this one buddy. I tune my bass to that of our lead guitarist, infact we're basicly all tuned equally...umm but then do you mean standard tuning as opposed to other kinds of tuning like drop d?

G-Bass

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

EADG, an octave below a guitar, is the usual tuning.  A five string has a low B, and a six adds a high C.

ReplyQuote
(@woodenfret)
Trusted Member

Hi!

Use your nails and you'll have 5 picks instead of a plastic piece.

Keep feeling your strings! You're right.

Slap & tap it!

ReplyQuote