Clear all

How Much Power?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I started playing bass roughly five months ago, and had been using just a small kereoke machine to play my bass through.  Recently, however, the need has become apparent to buy a real bass amp with some real power behind it.  What wattage would I need to be heard over two guitars and drums in a room like a concert hall or a school auditorium?

Rock On,
Casey

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Try this:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=166

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

I reckon you'll need quite a lot of power, but don't just go for the loudest one you can afford, look for quality. Its all very well being heard above the guitars, but if the amp is bad, you'll not want to be heard!

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

What Petrix said is true, but find out what wattage (excuse the pun) your guitarists are using - you should aim for about five times that.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Make sure you get an amp with good midrange.  An amp with all the mids scooped out sounds great in a store, but it will be right on top of the bass drum and get lost in the mix.  Midrange punch lets you be heard as well as felt.

ReplyQuote