Clear all

Is 125 thin for a B string.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've bin using a 125 for a B string snce i started playing the 5 strings but have found that when plucking the B string (fingerstyle) the same way I do with the EADG strings that it rattles slightly.

Would 130 or 135 be a better choice of strings for it?

Cheers

This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun!

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Possibly. Make sure it's well set up first, then try something like a .130 if that doesn't work.

ReplyQuote
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well how do you set it up? Do you have to sort out the truss rod?

I'm not really in the know when it comes to guitar/bass setups. If you could explain it I would be very pleased.

Cheers

This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If the .125 is the string that came on the bass, it might be time to change your set to something fresher. Sometimes when strings get old they sorta bottom out. They sag a little. It's hard to explain, but it's like the metal gets softer and stretched out slightly and where it contacts the frets gets little dent-looking things from being used so much.

If it's a new set and the .125 is buzzing, then you might just raise the saddle on that particular string. I forget what Jazz bass you have, but if it's a newer one I think they have individual saddles for each string. You could just raise it up a tiny bit; like one turn of the screwdriver (or allen wrench) at a time until the string is higher and doesn't buzz.

I think the thinnest B I have is a .128 or something. My Essex originally came with Epiphone strings on it or something, and I think the B was a .125. I put Dean Markley Blue Steels on it (.045-.130) and they seem fine on it.

But anyhow, try just raising the saddle on that one string before you go messing with the truss rod in the neck. The neck's probably pretty well setup already so try the saddle adjustment first and if that still doesn't work, then try a thicker string (or a new set). The added tension of the .130 will probably pull the neck up enough so things won't buzz.

ReplyQuote