Clear all

New Bass Amp!

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I just bought this bass amp for my bassist (hes gonna pay me back next week) and im really excited. I thought it was a good deal, its not as good as it was a little bit ago. I still cannot wait till it gets here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64397&item=3767784277&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Tell me what you think.

aka Izabella

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Somewhere I heard they were pretty good little amps. Got that light thing going on too I believe. Should be great for band practice and smaller gigs.

QL :)

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, we want to start to gig. It may not be that loud but we wont be all that loud i dont think. We will see. We can always sell it later.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

100 watts is plenty loud! You probably won't have to upgrade for awhile.

As a side note, it's not such a bad idea that you guys aren't overly loud. Music doesn't have to be loud to be 'powerful,' you know?

Smaller gigs means, like a bar or small club - you know 100 to 200 people maybe. I'm not sure on the numbers, but 100 watts should be enough for a long time to come man.

Good purchase!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yea I think Im gonna be really happy with it as will Eric.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah just an update.

I LOVE the amp. The bassist loves it too. I want to take it from him for a weekend but I can't bring myself to do that.

I really think it is helping our band out A LOT. We are definately improving and getting ready to record an album soon (im nervous). The bassist is getting good amazingly quickly. He can keep up with most of the tempos Davy (drummer) and I play (unless we try to challenge him just for fun).

Anyways just an update.

The amp is just a tad underpowered (Davy is a loud drummer, hes taming himself a bit though) but I think itll be fine. I can't wait to start gigging. As soon as we get a short set list (originals mainly, maybe 2 or 3 covers) together we will start gigging a bit. I'd like to see how the amp handles while gigging. I think its gonna be great.

The controls on the amp have Eric and I bewildered (I dont know how to get a good bass tone, he doesnt know what tone is :lol:). There are really no cons to this amp other than the power, which isint big at all, the power is perfectly fine for all but the loudest drummers. I think itll be fine in a gigging situation.

Im really digging the lights too.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey, cool about the lights. A reviewer said he liked them too!

Anyhow to start off with, just set the tone controls straight up and then adjust a little. The idea is just to basically find a 'hole' in the sound-scape of the entire band, and then see if it can be adjusted to fill it.

I just looked at the pdf manual: if you have the Mid Scoop activated, deactivate it. If you take the mids out of the sound it sometimes gets a little hard to hear and the sound is softer. Also, I don't know what kind of bass he has, but there's a passive/active button on there too - it should match with what the bass has.

Fun having a new amp though, huh? :)

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

If the low power is a problem, it shouldn't be. 100 watts should be ok for your average small venue, and the larger ones will probably have a PA System. Plug the "Line Out" (Or "DI out" or "Pre Amp Out" or "XLR out" or whatever it is) into the Mixing desk through a DI (Direct injection) box, and hey presto you have all the power of the PA system. This is standard practice in venues to play the bass through the PA.

I hope you have fun with that

Peter

ReplyQuote