Clear all

New pickups

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know I may get a response of, choose the pickups you like the sound of... but I still have a question.

I have an Amercian made Jazz Bass and was wondering if the pickups are worth changing...

I'm not sure of the quality of the single coil pickups already in the bass and the quality of other pickups i.e. EMGs, BassLine, etc.

Also, could I fit humbuckers in the space of the single coils or are humbuckers always the big things with two sensors running along the string, like the Musicman Stingrays?

Cheers

This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun!

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You should be able to find stacked humbuckers that will fit in the space of a single coil, but they won't have the sound a J-bass has.

ReplyQuote
(@metallifan)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, won't any new pickups even if single coil sound different to the original sound?

Also, When installing new pickups are new pots for the dials required? And do they come with the pickups?

Thanks

This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Yes, any new pickup will affect it, but a single coild might do it less. It depends on the particular pickup, of course.

If you're going from single coils to humbuckers you might want to change out the pots. I'm not sure about the exact values in basses, but guitars with single coils usually have 250k pots, and guitars with humbuckers usually have 500k pots, due to their higher output. I want to say basses are the same, but my memory could be faulty. They wouldn't normally be included.

ReplyQuote