Clear all

Nice

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Man I'm digging the bass. I got back from my surgery and managed to play today with the latin jazz group,lol we are playing live on Saturday and today was the first time I played bass, and the first time I played with them. Well my fingers got used to it pretty quickly, and my right hand also got used to it pretty quickly.

We are playing Oye Como Va, and we are starting it out with the bass, it's a simple bass line that we are using to start it off and then slowly everyone else comes in until the trumpet comes in and fires it up. After we had it going the teacher told me to improvise, but I really didn't get the whole improvising with the bass, even though it's the same scales and everything, it was a bit weird, different sound different groove. I'll get the hang of that, but so far, I've been keeping on time and doing my stuff.

We are also playing Autumn Leaves ( I love that song ) which I got pretty quickly thanks to some sheet music that we had. I had alot of fun playing the bass and we are playing live on Saturday in a school activity. We are a nice group made up of a guitar, a bass, a keyboard, trumpet, drums, Congas and anything the teacher decides to play. Depending on the song I will also pick up a guitar so there will be 2 guitars and the teacher will be taking the bass.

I don't own a bass and I'm not sure about buying one because well its not that much fun when you are alone :P.

It's really fun and it gives me a bit of freedom, and it is a bit less pressure, because its easier to learn songs than in guitar, well not as in guitar chords but guitar melodies. It's not that it's hard but it takes a bit more time, and I am really lacking that because of all the school I've missed.

Anyhow.... any tips on improvising in bass ?

P.S. Wish me luck for Gig on saturday!

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good luck! :wink:

ReplyQuote