Ok What exactly it is BASS or BASE ?

35 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
11.6 K Views
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A very strange question you might come across and my very first new message post on the bass forum 8)

So lets see what's the problem.Ok.Now during a long life that i have lived (yup only 18 yrs) i have found a number of bass players in my college.And they called it as bass pronounced as base (base as in baseball).

So don't you guys think that bass should be pronounced (as in glass)rather then the current one.

The strange thing is how can base = bass ever happen.Isn't is a good time to make a radical change :) (hey i m serious , i have been pondering over thiss thing since i met the bassman and only now it has come out :wink: )

Just a question (and an opinion guys) , i hope i am not ruffling feathers or raising blood pressure :lol:

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Well, it is correctly pronounced "base", but I agree that it should be pronounced bass to rhyme with grass as it is in other languages. English is an illogical language sometimes.

English is (sort of) my second language and I had never heard the word pronounced before, only written when I used it for the first time in conversation. Of course I pronounced it the wrong way. Very embarrassing, especially for a young (at the time) bass player.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

We have to pronounce it "base" so people don't think we play a fish. Because you know they would.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

is bass a FISH ??? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

how did u get this pic .Awesome :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

a bass is a freshwater fish. they come in largemouth, smallmouth, and striped, and probably a few others.

the word bass, along with almost all other musical words, italian in origin, but i don't know why it's pronounced with a hard a.

i'm the one who voted wrong, because i didn't read the post first, and thought it was a spelling question.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's taken from the Latin for "low" (bassus), preserved in the Italian term basso, which is also the root of the English word "base" or low, foundation. In this instance, the English spelling is conservative and spelled so as to preserve the Latin root indicating a specialized musical term. "Bass" (fish) on the other hand comes from the Middle English (I believe) barse, a type of fish, related to the contemporary German Barsch, also a freshwater fish.
If you know your philology, it's perfectly logical. :?
(I get paid to do this stuff for a living, really!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

wow musenfreund do you have a linguistic history job ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

..and there is also Bass ("a" not "ay"), a salt-water fish.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

..and there is also Bass ("a" not "ay"), a salt-water fish.

Yum!

The picture was for an April Fools Joke page we did a few years back. That's me on a bridge near my house, and my P-bass.

As noted above: base = bass = low or foundation (including the musical instrument)
bass (like bash) = fish

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

now i m seriously starting to think play bass too.I do that on 4 bottom string of my classical guitar.Is that a way to learn? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I teach German language and literature.

Bass is a different creature from guitar -- there are similarities but critical differences as well.

I've been picking up some bass lately. You can certainly transfer some skills and knowledge from guitar to bass, but you've got to learn bass specific skills as well. You can't treat it as though it were just a guitar tuned an octave lower.

It's great fun.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh and yeah , i want to learn german too (geheme stats polizi).(i tried learning japanese , then i tried french and no use , except good morning and evening....)It seems really hard to learn a language as it in the case to learn sheet music (david called that a language too :wink: )

anyways i guess now i should move on to spanish , so that it can help me in my classical guitar :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I once pronounced bass, as if itwas a fish waay back in freshamn year music, and I was severely laughed at, even the teacher :shock:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3