Pick a pick?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

When I was playing bass before (years ago) I always just used my fingers. I've recently started playing bass some with a local metal band, though, and found that some things come more easily with a pick. (Really FAST 16th notes, to name one thing.)

I'm using the same big stubbies I use on guitar at the moment, but wondering if I should try anything else for bass.

i like the feel of the big, thick pick, but my one worry is that I'm wearing them out. I started using a pick today, and after two hours of practice, it has a lot less point on it that it did. (Still works fine, though.)

Which pick do you pick?

Ande

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

my one worry is that I'm wearing them out.

You know, you can buy them in packs of 50 ... :wink:

I don't use a pick very often for bass, but I do keep an assortment of them in my bass case. I'd probably choose the 1.14mm Dunlop nylon (moderate attack but still has some snap), but I've got picks as thin as .73mm and as thick as 2mm. For a slightly sharper, more percussive attack, I find the 1mm tortex or ultex are good for my needs.

I saw that Duff McKagan (GNR, Velvet Revolver) uses the yellow Dunlop 0.73s, which I think are tortex. He's got a great rock and roll bass tone. No pedals, just a cranked GK rig.

And Justin Chancellor of Tool uses 1mm Claytons, according to the wiki page. And also a GK amp user, by coincidence. Or not.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I play a couple of our songs with a pick and use the Dunlop Gator 2mm (the black one). They are tortex and have a rough feel to them, so they don't slip in my fingers.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member

i believe you should play with a pick when your playing metal and thats how i learned. I started with guitar then went to bass so i just developed the habit of using a pick. but i think you should use any pick you think helps you play better.

ReplyQuote