Clear all

Playing guitar AND bass....

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering how many GN members play guitar and bass guitar, and a couple of questions....

1) How do you split your practise time....evenly, or do you practise more on your "main" instrument?

2)I play mostly rhythm on guitar....most of my practise time when I was first learning I spent trying to play along with songs on the radio/stereo....is this a good way to practise bass? Or would you dig out a bunch of tabs and practise them?

3)It must surely be an advantage, starting out on bass, having a reasonable grasp of chord theory....do bass players actualy play full chords and arpeggiate them or pick them? I find it much harder to pick out a bass-line from a CD than I do guitar chords....this might be because I'm so used to thinking in terms of chords.....

4)I've found the inside of my RH index finger...the one I'm hittting the strings with mostly...is blistering rather than developing a callouse.. which isn't much fun if you're trying to combine 2 disciplines (3 if you count acoustic fingerpicking!!!!).....I remember my fretting fingers being sore when I started guitar, but it didn't seem to take long to build up callouses - would I be better off using a pick for bass at first? And are there picks for Bass guitar, or should I just use a large-ish, heavy guitar pick?

I've got hundreds of questions - but these cover the main points for now I think.....

Vic

Edit - one more question I've just thought of...I've noticed bass players tend to hold their instruments a lot higher up on their bodies (haven't even tried playing standing up yet...) - is there a reason for thisor is it down to the individual bassist?

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

As far as practicse time - I don't actually practice apart from recording tracks, and that can be a LOT of practice all at once, playing the same thing (or trying to) over and over again until it's right. I don't practice just scales or technique or anything though - it's parts for songs that I'm trying to come up with.

And for that, it goes in phases. Like the first tracks I work on after the initial vocal/uke by my wife, are the bass tracks. The laying of the bass tracks can take weeks (being part time like me), and so at the end of it, I'm pretty much a "Bass player."

Then I start in on the 12-string and 6-strings and that can take a while too. I grow my nails back (always keep them short for bass), and start into it. I transform into a guitarist for awhile.

It goes back and forth like that.

When I first started, I used to play along to LPs and the radio. I think the radio's still a cool idea because you never know what song's going to play next. It helps your ear a LOT. I think in the long run, if you're not in a band that requires you to learn certain specific songs, and you just want to improve playing, this would be the way I'd go. Just jam a long by ear and put the tabs down.

Bass lines are sometimes harder to pick out because they're in such a low range usually. McCartney or Sting (I forget which) said he liked playing the records at fast speed so he could hear the bass line.

Another thing is that sometimes the bass is being doubled by one of the guitars so it's a little harder to focus on. Plus the fact that lots of bass lines are pretty root-fifth simple. When they start doing melodic or walking things, it gets a little easier to hear.

I used to get blood-blisters from playing too much. You know, just sitting there zoning out on the television, plunking silently away unplugged. Gives you an almost subconscious feel for the instrument. BUT, after the blood blisters (or regular blisters) would pop and dry out and the skin would fall off, there'd be a sort of a callus. Sometimes, depending on how much I was playing, the callus would go away after awhile and it would just be little patches of smooth skin; not thick like calluses, but smooth and tough. The left hand calluses (if you're right-handed) come from pushing straight down on the string, whereas the finger-picking fingers are rubbing across the strings, so that's maybe why there's a difference.

I'd suggest you learn to play finger-style mostly, but start incorporating a pick. Be good at both. I use heavy picks rarely because I record mostly, and when I do use a pick I go totally the other way and use a very thin Tortex (red) pick. It allows you to play pretty hard without actually making the volume level stick out. Like a built-in compressor almost!

Sometimes I use the Large Triangle Fender pick. The smaller point gives a clankier sound when I want that. I'd just go with Fender 351 mediums though, or something with the 351 (standard) shape. Maybe experiement with different materials - celluloid, tortex, ultrex, gel, nylon, etc.

As far as how high or low the bass is worn just depends on the individual. I sit when I play now, but when I did stand, I had it pretty high up so I could get my wrist on my fingering hand pretty straight. Actually I did that with guitar too.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

I play both. The fretless bass guitar being my main instrument on which I practice more than the guitar. Mostly I use the guitar when I write lyrics to have something to base them around, so I don't do a lot of fancy things with it. It still practice a little now and then, but nothing scheduled like my bass practice.

Playing the guitar as well as bass has also improved my jamming abilities as I can see what chords the guitar is playing without having to ask and so it's a lot easier to just play along.

I find that having knowledge of how chords are constructed has helped me both in my jamming and when writing bass lines. If you want something not too boring, but still fairly simple, using the notes in the chord will always give you a great starting point.

I don't find it too hard to pick up a bassline once I focus on actually listening for it. But finding out the chords of the song will help you figure out the bass line as well and it'll be easier to add fills when knowing what the other instruments are playing.

I agree with DemoEct on playing with a pick. Start fingerstyle and then incorporate the pick. Never just choose one method. Variety is your friend. You can get some 2mm Dunlops picks, which I use whenever I want the pick sound. You can also get some special soft picks, so it doesn't sound like you're using a pick at all. But then I'd just rather play fingerstyle.

Wear the bass where it's most comfortable. You could have it lower if you just groove within the first 5 frets, but if you need access to the higher frets and do a little more technical stuff, then wearing it higher would probably be best. Plus wearing it high won't damage your wrist that much. Just don't carry the bass with your fretting hand or bend your wrist around the neck.

Hope it helps.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

DemoEtc, Illicit....thanks for the feedback, couple of well thought out answers there.....

Big help, thanks again,

:D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alcoholica)
Eminent Member

I wish I could play both :D

My body my lie, but still I roam

ReplyQuote
(@marquis)

Hey...I'm in the same boat too Vic. Trying to learn the nuiances of bass while feeding my musical addiction to guitar.

I guess I'm backwards. I've spent a few solid years on guitar (acoustic then electric). In some ways, I feel that I can hear the bass better than certain guitar notes. But...I've done the same thing as you the past few years...just jamming with radio and albums that I like. It is a fantastic way to sharpen your ear. I still have a long way to go, but I think it is a great way to learn a bit. But don't be afraid to stop and just listen to the song through and through.

Anyway...good luck with your playing...and hopefully I'll see you on tour someday! LOL

"Music heard so deeply that it is not heard at all, but you are the music while the music lasts." -T.S. Eliot-

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Keeping your wrist as straight as possible is key for not feeling uncomfortable and doing damage to wrist tendons while playing bass. If you start out wearing the instrument at your belt level and then adjust accordingly, you will find your comfort zone. Just remember that if you are playing in a certain position for any length of time and your body hurts, then something should be adjusted. I would also suggest a wide strap when you start standing to play with the bass. And as your mama or someone probably told you when you were young, stand up straight and don't slouch. With that extra 8lbs. or so strapped to your neck, you are just looking for trouble.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Like I said on the "Guitar to Bass" thread, it's been a couple of months... although bass playing is still very rudimentary (mostly root notes, very occasional fills) my guitar playing seems to have improved....lead playing is more fluid, reach has improved, and because I don't think I've picked up any bad habits YET, the good habits....improved stace, better hand and finger positioning....seem to have had an influence on my guitar playing as well...

So far so good....the acid test wll come when I get to record some new songs....

Vic.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have never played an electric guitar but can i do bassing through an aocustic using the 3 bottom strings :?:

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Like I said on the "Guitar to Bass" thread, it's been a couple of months... although bass playing is still very rudimentary (mostly root notes, very occasional fills) my guitar playing seems to have improved....lead playing is more fluid, reach has improved, and because I don't think I've picked up any bad habits YET, the good habits....improved stace, better hand and finger positioning....seem to have had an influence on my guitar playing as well...

So far so good....the acid test wll come when I get to record some new songs....

Vic.

Yep, I was doing some just last night - recording bass tracks - and man...I think this should go in the "Which is harder, bass or guitar" thread someone had. But...yes, I think bass is harder in certain ways. With the stuff we're doing, the bass really never 'takes a breath' so to record even a 3 minute song all the way through with no flubs or mind-farts is a challenge. Live playing you can just let it go, but recording...whew....

I mean, it was just simple triads - root-third-fifth - but at a fast tempo, and aside from having a picking finger accidentally mute a sounding string and kill the note (supposed to be fast, but flowing and all connected and smooth) there's this whole thing where the bass is the instrument that's adding the 'swing' and feel to the strummed chords. You know, like little (I guess it would be) double-dotted notes and stuff like that, all the way through with no obvious mistakes, but also trying to groove it all the way through.

Not easy!

Where's that "Which is harder..." thread. I've got a lot to say this morning, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

... the bass really never 'takes a breath' so to record even a 3 minute song all the way through with no flubs or mind-farts is a challenge. Live playing you can just let it go, but recording...whew....

Thanks for putting this into words. Even after all these years, I still have trouble getting all the way through a song without any noticeable errors. And you're right, us bass players don't get a break, just like the drummers. It's hard to hide any errors too, because the timing is important, and the bassline is part of the foundation of the song. If the rhythm or lead guitars go off course a little, it's "creative", but if the bass or drums at a touch late - everyone notices.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Absolutely right.

Last night I was having another go at the same song. The previous night was just one of those "Well, it's just not happening...better come back to it later" times.

But last night I was getting even closer, then had my wife listen to the tracks (she does the ukes and all vocals), and she suggested it was too simple and to run the bass a little more; do some 'stuff.'

So I worked out another, completely different pattern and feel and it worked. I'd gotten the previous track down to the point where I could "live with it" meaning, there was one less-loud note in one place, but it had a good 'feel' to it so I was going to leave it. You get to the point sometimes where you have to think "Well, it's got a slight flub in it but I can live with it because it was a good feeling take", or sometimes if it's a REAL good-feeling take it's like "Okay, I don't think I can get it any better than that" and that's the take. But last night this whole other part started to present itself (these are original arrangements of traditional tunes, so the parts are left up to me), and I started going with it and started to really get into it. The part is pretty much worked out now, and tonight maybe, it'll be time to try and lay it down.

Funny, it's a more active bassline but it's easier to play for some reason. I guess because just doing a riffy type thing over and over, you sometimes lose count of where you are, but when it's like one thing for one measure and one thing for another measure it's easier to keep track of where you are in the song or something.

Anyhow, funny how that works; more complex is easier than less complex. I have a feeling that's a bassplayer's curse though. If it's fast and flashy you can just rip through it but when it's slow and simple you REALLY have to put every ounce of feeling you have into it. It's like "Well, I only got 'this' many notes to play in the song; better make 'em all count."

Can hardly wait to get back to it tonight though!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Guys, let me tell ya....

I've done the bass tracks and we had a gig a week ago and I had no fingernails to do the fingerpicking on. I promised myself to take the AlaskaPiks to try out but forgot them at the last minute. Played the set with a flatpick and you know? I didn't miss the fingernails. I didn't play fingerstyle, but it sounded almost...better.

And now, last night, with the fingernails almost back I was doing some 12 string tracks, the real brushy type fast strumming, and I hear fingernails hitting every once in a while - enough to make it annoying - and am now thinking - okay, maybe no fingernails for ANYTHING.

This is getting to be some funny stuff.

I think it may have to do with having installed K&K piezos on the 12-string - the Big Twin - and having so much available treble, but...I dunno. I'm done with bass for at least the next several months so there's time to experiment!

ReplyQuote
(@euge453)

1. i practice guitar much more. when im learning theory or something, i learn it on guitar becuase theres more to do, and i can carry it all over onto bass. i only practice bass when my band wants me to learn a song, and to keep my fingers quick.

2. its a great way to practice bass. just turn the bass up on the stereo, and its good practice. especially when you can barely hear the bass part, it trains your ear to disect the song and hear just the bass part. thats good for all instruments.

3. crazy bassists play chords. most just play double stops. all bassists play arpeggios though. most are just 3 or 4 note patterns. jazz bassists get into really complex walking arpeggios, too.

4. as for your finger, i had the same problem. are you plucking on the strings too hard? bass fingerstyle is more of pulling the strings than plucking them. just lightly pull them and you shouldnt have as much pain, and you can pull harder once you get callouses. for picks, large heavy guitar picks work. or some bassists use felt picks (the kind ukelele player use). felt picks give a warmer sound. also, now they have rubber picks, which are really soft and thick and make it sound like your using your fingers when youre not. haha but thats cheating.

5. i hold my bass higher then a guitar because for one, it lets me get a better fingerpicking angle. also, bass frets are stretched farther away, and if its closer, i have a better fret range.

cheers :]

ReplyQuote
(@classic_rock_kid08)
Trusted Member

I sing, play lead guitar, rhythym guitar, bass, and drums.. as well as a little keyboard, trumpet, violin, and many other musical instruments. My life revolves around music, it is my reason for living. Bass is my main instrument, but I actually play my guitar a little bit more than my bass. And I play everything else every once in a while.

I find that it is much more satisfying to learn songs from the radio. Most of the time, I sit and try to find new chord transitions, etc. I actually taught myself to play all those instruments except for trumpet. I believe thatplaying bass FIRST helps with learning and understanding guitar. For some odd reason, I find it extremely easy to sing and play guitar at the same time, but to sing & play bass at the same time, I have to practice both parts individually over and over first.

For me, on any left handed bass or guitar, finger picking is natural (I'm still training my right hand to use a pick accurately), and when I play a left handed guitar(yes, I play both ways, too. left and right) it is easier to use a pick. I NEVER use a pick on a bass, EVER.

I, as a bassist, have also realized that bassists have their instruments higher up on their bodies. It came naturally to me, in fact, I didn't even realize that I was doing it, and I play standing and sitting. I even have my guitar higher than normal. The only reason that I can think of for this is that it is more comfortable and puts less stress on the joints.

Thanks for posting this topic,
Brandon Pace
Power Bass

Music is one of the most powerful forces on this planet, why not put it to use?
Brandon Pace
http://www.brandonmpace.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2