Clear all

sharps and flats

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@chasumdeep)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was looking at one of the bass lessonsone the site and in between the bass clef and the time signature there were 3 sharps: one on the f note line, one on the c note line and one on the g note line (I think that's the way I saw) on the staff.   What does this mean????

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Without knowing which lesson you were looking at to tell you exactly what key it is, the sharps and flats after the bass clef tells you which key you are going to be playing.  

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

3 # is the key signature.  On which lines they are is not significant, they are just drawn there every which way.

If you go up by 5ths from C, G has 1 #, D has 2 and A has 3#.  So your music is in the key of A major.

Here is a table of the keys:
Key        Minor     Signature      1   2   3   4   5   6   7
C  major   A  minor                 C   D   E   F   G   A   B
G  major   E  minor  #              G   A   B   C   D   E   F#
D  major   B  minor  ##             D   E   F#  G   A   B   C#
A  major   F# minor  ###            A   B   C#  D   E   F#  G#
E  major   C# minor  ####           E   F#  G#  A   B   C#  D#
B  major   G# minor  #####          B   C#  D#  E   F#  G#  A#
F# major   D# minor  ######         F#  G#  A#  B   C#  D#  E#  
F  major   D  minor  b              F   G   A   Bb  C   D   E
Bb major   G  minor  bb             Bb  C   D   Eb  F   G   A
Eb major   C  minor  bbb            Eb  F   G   Ab  Bb  C   D
Ab major   F  minor  bbbb           Ab  Bb  C   Db  Eb  F   G
Db major   Bb minor  bbbbb          Db  Eb  F   Gb  Ab  Bb  C
Gb major   Eb minor  bbbbbb         Gb  Ab  Bb  Cb  Db  Eb  F

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@chasumdeep)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, guys! 8)

Much love!  :-*

ReplyQuote
(@elgalad)
Eminent Member

Hey helgi, I thought the sharps (or flats) were placed on the line that represents the note(s) that are sharpened or flattened in that key?  Feel free to correct me here (theory's not my strongest area ;D),  but I noted that on the sheet music that chasumdeep had the sharps were on the F, C, and G notes being sharpened, which are the three notes that are sharp in G Major.

Do you think that makes sense? ??? :)
Brad

Use the Big Muff, Luke

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I went and looked it up.

See for example:
http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m10881/latest/

You are absolutely right, they are placed on the line where the note is sharpened.  I had no idea.  I just counted them.

You live and learn.  Thanks.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@danyellie)

I have a ?   i have a acustic and i need string but i dont know names of them to get the right one...its the 6th string

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It's called a low-E if it's the one closest to the top.  E-A-D-G-B-E / 6 thru 1.  The 1st string is also an E.  I take it you are replacing a broken string, best bet, get a whole new set and if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, find someone to show you so you can learn to restring your guitar and get her back in tune.  Good Luck!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Here is a common set of guitar strings.  Picture this as if you are leaning over and looking at your fretboard:

e .11  skinniest string closest to the floor
G .13
B .18
D .28
A .38
E .49  fattest string closest to your chest

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Those are a bit thin for an acoustic.  .013 through .054 are my best guess at standard sizes.

ReplyQuote