Clear all

Squier Standard P Bass Special

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Standard-P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=510569

Any opinions/experience with this bass? It's a Squier Standard P Bass Special 4 string. $229 at MF, free shipping, and another $25 off if I sign up for the Platinum card.

Thinking about trying out bass (and yes, I've pre-ordered David's bass book! :D ), and like the idea of a narrow'ish neck. This is about what I'd like to spend and I like the style of this one.

I'd prefer a bass that's on the lighter (weight) side, but I don't see the weight listed.

I'm also willing to consider a used bass in the same price range.

Any suggestions/advice/comments welcome.

(Mods--apologies in advance if this should've gone under GAS or Opinions and Polls. Seeing as the Bass forum is a little more specific, I thought it might get more views here. Move if you must. Thx!)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I don't know about the new ones, but I have a Squier P-Bass Special from a few years back. The sunburst one. I got it used, but it turned out to be a terrific bass. I love the J neck. I've recorded with it but haven't played live with it yet. My fave bass is still the Jay Turser Beatle, but sometimes the Squier fits the bill perfectly.

It's not too heavy in my estimation; I think my Rick 4001 was heavier even though the body was thinner.

Looks like it would be a good buy.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

A 'P' and a 'J' pick-up with the thinner Jazz neck - sounds good.

Welcome to the ranks of the bottom-feeders... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

When I was bass shopping I thought the jazz neck on the Fenders was very comfortable, so the Squier neck should be, too.

Margaret, you might also look for a used made-in-Mexico Fender Jazz bass.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Welcome to the ranks of the bottom-feeders...

Heheheheh! :twisted:

Thx for the replies, peeps!

Since I love the neck on my Fender Hwy 1 strat, I'm thinking I might like the Squier or Fender bass necks, too.

I will have to get to a shop so I can lay hands on some basses and see how they actually feel.

If I can bargain with a shop and get them to come down close to the price available online, I'd much rather buy locally and see the actual exact instrument before plunking down my dough.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Good idea to do it that way. Sometimes if you print out the online price, say from Musician's Friend or Zzsounds or Music123, and take it with you, they might match or try to beat the price. You'll pay tax depending on the state you're in, but it might even out compared to the shipping you might pay for the oversized package, usually around $30-$35. Don't forget to include a good gig bag or HScase.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

DemoEtc wrote: they might match or try to beat the price. You'll pay tax depending on the state you're in, but it might even out compared to the shipping
And even if they can't match or beat the price, I am willing to pay a bit more to support the local economy (which supports me), to have a relationship for future service and advice, and to avoid the hassle of having to possibly return-ship something. Buying locally, I can be sure before I buy.

On the other hand, I did buy a video camera online recently. I had been in the local store ("local" being 16 miles away) several times and was simply overwhelmed with the models, features, etc. Each time I gave up because I just couldn't deal with so many decisions. Finally decided it was time to buy and started looking online. Picked one out, asked a friend in-the-know for an opinion, and settled on it. Called the local store to ask for their price, but they were not at all helpful and seemed uninterested in my business. So, I placed the order on online.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Margaret:

I recently purchased a bass for my 10 yr old son. Much to my shock and horror, he wants to play bass instead of his father's beloved guitar! :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:

Luckily, my nephew is an accomplished electric bassist (and stand up bassist, violinist, celloist, etc!). He took my son shopping and they came home with a short scale bass. If you currently play guitar, you may want to check out short scale basses. They are closer in length to a guitar, and according to my nephew, more comfortable to play for guitar players and younger players.

They picked this baby up at Rondo Music for $109!

http://www.rondomusic.net/spb57short.html

You can buy online and return it if you have any problems. Rondo has a great reputation - they are the ones who sell Agile guitars. My son loves his bass and I must say, even though I am not a bass player, I can tell it is a good instrument. Save the extra cash to buy a decent bass amp, Maraget!

That is my advice, and it is worth exactly what you paid for it! :D [/url]

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

I agree with Fenderbender-definately check out the SX's. Although the Squiers are solid instruments, too. Plus, the Squier looks exactly like a Fender. AS far as your Musiciansfriend/local store policy, it's perfect.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies.
CFB wrote: Much to my shock and horror, he wants to play bass instead of his father's beloved guitar

Gotta look at the bright side--you have the beginnings of a band with him on bass and you on guitar. :)

And yes, I am also thinking about a short scale bass, which may be easier for me to balance. I'm not a real strong person (my shoulders get tired supporting a 6-string even), so the easier it is to hold and support, the better.

I believe Slej's Mustang is a short-scale bass and I think he is very happy with it.

I called and got the weight of the Squier Standard P Bass Special 4 string and it is 8.6 pounds. I'm thinking that's on the lighter end for a bass ??

Thx again for the help!

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

That's a good question about the weight. It *seems* about right, like a 'big Stratocaster' which is, what, around 7-8 pounds? I've never really weighed the basses. I know the Turser Beatle's ultra-light because it's hollow...but, can't tell you if that's a standard weight for a P-bass.

Anybody have specs, or at least average weights?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I don't know about the weight, but having the right strap makes a difference. A wider strap will distribute the weight over more of your shoulder area, making the bass more comfortable to hold. Just imagine holding up a big bad bass with one of those skinny rope-style acoustic straps - you might slice your arm off.

I'm using a 4" leather strap which is probably overkill, but I barely notice the weight of the bass. Mine is made by Italia - they are cheap on ebay but they take a while to get (I think they skin a new cow for each order.)

The Comfort Strapp is often recommended on bass forums, and comes in various lengths:
http://www.comfortstrapp.com/

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I don't know about the weight, but having the right strap makes a difference. A wider strap will distribute the weight over more of your shoulder area, making the bass more comfortable to hold. Just imagine holding up a big bad bass with one of those skinny rope-style acoustic straps - you might slice your arm off.

I'm using a 4" leather strap which is probably overkill, but I barely notice the weight of the bass. Mine is made by Italia - they are cheap on ebay but they take a while to get (I think they skin a new cow for each order.)

The Comfort Strapp is often recommended on bass forums, and comes in various lengths:
http://www.comfortstrapp.com/

I got one from Moody's - very nice gift.

Ack - I just looked again - they're much more expensive now.

http://www.moodyleather.com/strap4inch.aspx

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Mine is made by Italia - they are cheap on ebay but they take a while to get (I think they skin a new cow for each order.)

I got one from Moody's - very nice gift.

Ack - I just looked again - they're much more expensive now.

http://www.moodyleather.com/strap4inch.aspx
From what I've heard, the couple that ran Moody separated, and the gal still runs Moody while the guy runs Italia. I believe the Moody's are higher quality but much more expensive.

ReplyQuote