19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

as a result of winning a copy Davids book I went bought myself a Bass, this one:

Ive been slowly working my way through his book (great book BTW). I think Im going to have to grow some longer fingers, man those frets are big, makes my acoustic feel real small. To date Ive managed to play some very simple (root note picking) bass lines from one of my favourite CD's Ry Cooder - "Into the Purple Valley". Ive also recorded a base track to acompany one of my Sunday Song Writer songs here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=328886&songID=4637177
if your interested. Im really enjoying the different instrument, its a whole new way of hearing music.

BTW thanks LAZ, the "Box" concept is a great tool.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

its a whole new way of hearing music.
the "Box" concept is a great tool.

+1 to both comments. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats, Paul.

That is a sweet looking rig. Perfect for home and small venues.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That was an expensive free book then, eh? :mrgreen:

Gorgeous bit of kit you got there - just a little better than my battered Encore with only half a scratchplate :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That was the thing that surprised me most when I first picked up the bass - how big the frets were! And I have biiiiiiig hands and long fingers.....

Something else I found after a while was, with regularly practising the bass, my fingers grew stronger and more pliable - really helps with the acoustic playing, especially with the barre chords.....

And it's always nice to have another string (insert GROAN here at bad pun) to one's bow....

Something else you might find is it helps your songwriting - I used to think exclusively from a guitarist's POV, now I wonder what the bass line is going to sound like as well.....

Have fun with your new toy - I'm pretty sure you'll find it addictive! Although I think you already have.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

BTW thanks LAZ, the "Box" concept is a great tool.

Thanks. I assure you that I did not invent this concept, which has probably been around for as long as instruments have been tuned in 4ths. However, I'm glad you found the lessons useful, especially when combined with David's book.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys,
That was an expensive free book then, eh?

LOL, and worth every penny too.

Vic, I fear that your right and that there's no turning back now, still as addictions go its not a bad one to have. Interesting comment on the songwriting, I hadnt given that much thought but now that you mention it, hmmm yeah something to consider. I might try writing a song from the Bassline perspective and see where that takes me, thanks for that.

Laz, the lessons were useful thanks, Im hungry for knowledge at the moment.

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Im hungry for knowledge at the moment.

Here's some:
http://www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook/

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Mitch

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

congrats on the new toy, I think I am going to buy a bass when I get my taxes back.

Off the wall question to everybody: What is the name of the website that is the bass equivalent of wholenote.com? It is a good site but I can't find it anywhere.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Off the wall question to everybody: What is the name of the website that is the bass equivalent of wholenote.com? It is a good site but I can't find it anywhere.

Talkbass?

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

No, it's http://www.activebass.com , after more searching I finally found it. thanks anyway.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

bass is cool, isn't it?

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Don't mean to hijack your thread, pbee.. but I just had something to ask and I don't think this warrants its own thread. And like you, I too am just getting into bass and this question might be relevant to anyone else who is as well.

I have this cheap little "Qwik Tune" tuner, it says "automatic guitar and bass tuner" -- this one: http://www.zzounds.com/item--QWKQT11

It doesn't seem to register the bass at all, it registers a note after maybe a minute of plucking, and even than the register is shaky and quickly fades away. Is this a sign of a terrible, cheap tuner or is something else up? You'd figure if they said it works for bass, it would.

Oh, and yes -- I'll buy a better tuner eventually.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I have a similar problem with a Korg CA30. I think that's the model; it's the chromatic one. The little LED needle seems really slow and then it seems to grab a note and hold it for too long. If I make adjustments while it's holding onto the first note, it doesn't seem to show those adjustments. New battery and all. It seems to do it with any instrument I try, acoustic or electric, bass or guitar.

Also, it at times seems like it's tracking one of the harmonics of the open note I'm plucking rather than the fundamental - I think the 5th - so I'll pluck the open E string and it'll register the B sometimes.

What I found helps is to play the 12th fret harmonic.

It's not at all like the ancient analog Korg I got back in the 80s, which I still use a lot. I figured 'same company, same result' but apparently not.

I'm thinking of trying the BOSS chromatic with the real analog needle meter.

On the other hand, the tuner that's built-in to the POD I have works great.

Might just be the circuitry I guess.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2