Skip to content
what is a crossover...

Notifications
Clear all

what is a crossover? and cabinets in series?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@poo-man)
Topic starter  

Hi. I have a pretty big rig, which I purchased purely for volume. I'm not sure what the best way to set up my amps is, but I suspect I should make use of a crossover, which I'm not entirely sure how it works. Should I even care? Does running two amps the way I am I have some advantage? I have 4 cabs, being run from a David Eden W800 and a Marshall JCM 800, two cabs each. At the moment he signal is basically split. Cabs are one 1x15, one 4x12 (Marshall) and two 4x10's (Eden). When I hook my cabs to the Eden, I have one cab running each side, and am not sure about putting cabs in series and bridging the amp - how do cabs in series work?
Any tips on any of the above appreciated.

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

It doesn't sound like your set-up would benefit from a crossover. As I see it, the main problem you might encounter is sonic confusion or muddiness in the mid-range because the different cab types will have different frequency responses.

If you already have a crossover, you can try setting it at 100-150Hz, and putting the low end to the 1x15 and the high to the 4x10s, just to see how it sounds.

Or you could set the crossover to 400Hz, and send the low to the 1x15 and 4x12, and send the full-range (not just high) to the 4x10s.

Otherwise, if you want to use all the cabs at once to get sufficient volume (???), then you've done it about right.

ReplyQuote