Notifications
Clear all

What tuning should I use?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lethaldosage)
Topic starter  

Well, I play bass, and guitar in the same band.

For guitar I use a 7-string, which is tuned to standard (B E A D G B E), for bass I've been using a 4-string which is tuned to drop-D (D A D G).

I have been contemplating tuning my bass even lower, most likely to B F# B E, or even C G C F, but I'm not sure if that'd ruin my bass' intonation, or anything like that.

I was thinking of tuning so low because, for bass I like to use the open 4th string a lot, which is a D, and most of our songs on guitar are in the key of B, and my lowest B is the 9th fret of the 4th string.

So, my question is: Would tuning my bass this low be okay?

In the future I plan on getting a 5-string, but for now, what do you think I should do?

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

It'll sound awful unless you change to thicker strings.  

If you do you'll also need to change the nut to accomodate the thicker strings.  

If you do that you can't use it for drop-D or standard tuning unless you change the nut back.

In any case you'll need to fix the intonation.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@m3tal_bassist)

^^ exactly!!!

ReplyQuote
(@petrix)
Estimable Member

Wise words from helgi.

If you just detune standard strings, they will quite litterally flap, and sound terrible.

Its probably not worth trying to use really low tuning like that just to make it easier to play. I understand the benefits, but it sounds like a lot of work.

However, it would be quite cool to be able to get those really low notes.

"I had these dreams that I would learn to play guitar, maybe cross the country, become a rock star"

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You should be able to drop down to B E A D tuning and keep it playable.  I've done it many times.  A little floppy, but cool.  For the record, I use D'addario soft top, heavy bottoms.  That's .045", .065", .085", .105".  B F# C# G# is another good one.  That's fifths.  The A string will remain playable dropped as far as an E, I've never had call to go below that.  The E is playable dropped to a B, but carefully, as the sound can get a little weird.  Using the fleshy part of your thumb to pluck it can help.  It's not goung to hurt your bass to try those tunings out, so I'd recommend it.  Only you can tell whether you're comfortable with the feel and sound.

Re-intonate if you decide you like one of those tunings.  Don't bother just for experimenting.

ReplyQuote