Notifications
Clear all

3 string chords

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rearden)
Topic starter  

I sometimes see people playing chords on just the three highest strings, sometimes the four strings. They seem to be moveable shapes but I don't really know. For example, I was trying to play 'another brick in the wall part II' and with the full open position chords, it didn't sound right and with barre chords, it didn't sound right either and I'm taking a guess that these ones I'm speaking of is part of the answer.. Is there any place I can get information on the types of chords I'm talking about? Thanks.

(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Those are mostly called "power chords" although some refer to 2 string chords (which by definition can't really be called chords) power chords as well.

They are used a lot in metal music and as you suspected they are indeed moveable chords.

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_chord

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I might be mistaken, but I think Rearden's talking about the three thinnest strings and not the lower ones, where you'd normally play power chords.

I know that this is an old article, but it should answer your questions:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=71

Hope this helps, and if not, we'll all keep tying to help you! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rearden)
Topic starter  

yes, i meant higheset in terms of pitch. I always feel kind of dumb because I've taken theory classes in college, but they focused on piano. So sometimes I know what to do, just not how to accomplish it on guitar. Thanks for the link. The shapes are exactly what I was talking about. I had difficulty finding any reading on them. Would they make that high sound you hear in disco songs, with some weird strumming pattern? i.e. the prechours in another brick in the wall? thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Don't feel dumb - keep asking questions! Theory is theory and what you learned will translate to guitar if you take the time to think it through.

The shapes mentioned in the article Moving On Up deal with just your basic major and minor chords. Things can get (much) more complicated, as you might imagine.

In disco and funk, often the guitarist uses movable shapes one might normally associate with jazz such as the 6/9 shape, which serves double duty as 11#9 depending on what your root note is. They can use the top four strings as well as the top three. Here's a C11#9, for example:

E - 11
B - 11
G - 10
D - 10
A - X
E - X

Another common way to play an 11 chord is like this (using C11 as an example):

E - 12
B - 11
G - 10
D - X
A - X
E - X

If you pick up any jazz book that features chord melodies, you're bound to find a lot of chords that you can use in this fashion.

Hope this helps.

Be seeing you on the boards!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I always get the different versions of The Wall mixed up, but the most famous version is played in D minor. It is primarily played with the "A Minor Form" at the 5th fret. But it is also played with the "E Minor Form" at the 10th fret. It is played in a funky disco type strum style. There is the famous passage from Dm (5th fret) to Dm (10th fret) to C (8th fret) back to Dm (5th fret). I am guessing this is what you are talking about.

The rhythm shown here might not be absolutely correct, but gives the idea and shows the chord changes.

Dm-5th Dm-10th C-8th Dm-5th

e--5---5-5------10-10-10----8-8-8---------5---5-5-
b--6---6-6------10-10-10----8-8-8---------6---6-6-
g--7---7-7------10-10-10----9-9-9---------7---7-7-
d--7---7-7------12-12-12---101010---10----7---7-7-
a-------------------------------------------------
e-------------------------------------------------

Fingering

Dm-5th Dm-10th C-8th

e---5i------10i------8i--
b---6m------10i------8i--
g---7p------10i------9m--
d---7r------12r-----10r--
a------------------------
e------------------------

These chords are played on the bottom four strings, but sound just fine if you play only the bottom three. It helps to hold a barre with the index finger over all 4 strings in this passage.

This goes right along with David's article on playing the same chord at different positions up and down the neck.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I use high string three note chords alot.
form the D major chord (open) slide that shape up two frets you have E, one more fret F, two more frets G etc.

is that what you mean?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote