Notifications
Clear all

a bit embarassed but i need help.

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@unwritten_kay)
Topic starter  

ok i am so completly new at guitars.. i don't have one yet. i am wanting to buy one, but i have no idea what to look for.
i don't know what questions to ask, worse, i don't know what answers i need to hear! i tried to read the articles, but it didn't realy make sense..
i don't have any friends who play guitar let alone are experienced at it. please help me!

aerodynamically the bumblebee is unable to fly.. the bumblee bee does not know this so he goes on flying..

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No need to be embarassed, welcome to GN! :D

1) What kind of music do you listen to most?
2) Are you leaning more towards electric or accoustic?
3) Whats your budget? (for electric including amps, cables etc)

ReplyQuote
(@unwritten_kay)
Topic starter  

well i like to listen to rock, slow stuff too. i want an acoustic, and im australian, and i don't really want to spend like over 800. is that ok, or is it abit ridiculous?

aerodynamically the bumblebee is unable to fly.. the bumblee bee does not know this so he goes on flying..

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, you can get excellent accoustic guitars to start with for around +-300 AUD, even less if money is real tight. A budget of 800AUD would bring you in the 'we're getting jealeous' category. The biggest descision you'll have to make is whether you want a nylon-stringed classical guitar or a western with steel strings. Classical guitars have a wider neck which makes your fingers work real hard whereas the neck of a western is, to me, much more comfortable. On the other hand steel strings are much tougher on your fingers then nylon strings. Your best bet is to go to a store, have the clerk play on a classical and a western and decide which sound you'll like best. Atter that we can go into suggestion certain kinds of wood and the likes but I doubt that is going to be really that usefull if you're just starting out.

ReplyQuote
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

For the music you like, I'd buy a steel string. As to which steel string, thats a toughee, not just for you but for everyone.

Try and find a shop you feel comfortable in and ask them to play the same song on all the guitars you can afford and ask for their opinion on each one. With any luck you'll find one you like the sound of and that they say feels good. Then ask for money off and see what happens (10% off sticker price is good) and get them to chuck in a spare set of strings, a handful of pics and maybe a simple starter guitar book. They can always say no!

Good luck and enjoy it.

ReplyQuote
(@unwritten_kay)
Topic starter  

oh my gosh, thankyou so much for all your help!!! i can't wait to go shopping!!! thankyou!!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I understand on what ground you stand.
I am from New delhi , India and i tell you what i was in the same trouble as you.But here in my you cannot get good guitars for a low price.And even bigger problem , maybe the biggest was (and damn is ) that i am left handed so i could not find a guitar for myself.

Now enough of my story lets get to your point.You should get a Steel string acoustic guitar and not a classical .I have a classical and the WIDE NECK and HIGHER ACTION really kills me everyday i play it.Unless you want to play classical don't go for it.

Now here i list a couple of picks for you.I guess you can get these models in your area...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMFG700S

A very nice acoustic guitar by yamaha .Yamaha starters are very very good and will go a long way if you keep them well

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0951000021
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0951200021

Both acoustics by fender.Nice ones and affordable.The second one is having a jumbo body.Choose which you like better looking.

I personally feel you go for a yamaha , because i have heard them and played them too.Best of luck....(and hey , do you know HOW to tune and start playing guitar as that's the BIG problem you encounter once you are done with the purchasing of your guitar.So once you get them then make another post and we 'll help ya out. :wink:)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Odd's are you want a steel string accoustic as opposed to a nylong string, unless you like classical music. I started out on classical because I wanted to get a strong base of technique/theory and felt classical was the best way to start. I've started to really like classical music now, but that's beside the point. Like arjen said, go and get the clerk at the guitar shop to play a classical and than an accoustic. Then, after you decide which you prefer, find a guitar that feels good in your hands and sounds the way you like (just fret random notes, slide your hands up and down the neck to see how smooth it is, see how the frets feel,etc)

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN. i also suggest a steel string to start with.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Welcome to the site, lots of stuff here for new players.
Since you mentioned you like rock I would suggest a steel string as well. And look for ones with cut-aways so you have access to the high part of the neck

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN.

I say get an acoustic steel string and while you there pick up an electric and a small practice amp. The electric will be easier to play and we don't want you to become discouraged. Also make sure they set the guitar(s) up for you, some places will just hand it to you and leave the adjusting to you if you don't ask.

Oh yeah, tell them to throw in a set or two of strings(or whatever small things like string winders). Elixir's coated will be easier on the tender fingers.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

You are starting on the right foot coming here before you buy something. And like everyone said rock and steel string go together.

Good luck with your shopping.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

One other thing you may want to look at is the body style. I am a smaller sized woman. My acoustic is a orchestra model cut away. It is very comfortable to hold and play due to its smaller dimentions. My husband's acoustic is a big Martin that I have trouble playing comfortably due to the width of the bout.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Here are some useful articles from the lessons on this site.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=323
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=405
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=380

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2