Clear all

A chord question....

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rhilana)
Topic starter  

Hiya

im just learning my open chords and practising strumming in a steady rhythm (why does DDUUDUD sound better/easier than DUDUDU???) but the actually question im struggling with is changing from chord to chord. Rather than taking my fingers off altogether and then back on to go from and A to a D which fingers should be shifting where to make the transition easier? Likewise D to E (im learning 'living next door to Alice')

Cheers for any help guys...

Rhilana

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A D E

e---0------2m-----0---
b---2r-----3r-----0---
g---2m-----2i-----1i--
d---2i-----0------2r--
a---0-------------2m--
e-----------------0---

When changing chords, often one finger will stay on the same string, and this finger can guide the others.

In the case of A to D, while the index finger does not stay on the same string, it simply goes from the D string to the G string in the 2nd fret. So, let this finger go first, and let the other fingers follow. Now in the case of going from a E chord to a D chord, the index finger stays on the G string. When going from the D to the E, move the index finger down one fret and let the other fingers follow. Finding a finger that stays on the same string (or very close like the same fret but another string) allows you to use this finger as a guide and anchor.

Also, you do not always have to fret a chord in traditional ways, Going from a E chord to an A chord you can just move your middle and ring fingers up a string, and then let your pinky play the B string. There is nothing wrong with this and makes the change very easy. It is always good to learn several ways to fret a chord for this very reason.

The secret is to keep movement to a minimum.

E A

e--0--------0--
b--0--------2p-
g—-1i-------2r-
d—-2r-------2m-
a—-2m-------0--
e--0-----------

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

just ahd a quick go and you need to move all off them.
I do an A like a D7 but all in the 2nd fret and then drop the 2dn and 3rd fingers down a string and drop the pinky on the 2nd string for the D.
D to E drop the first finger on the 3rd string 1 st fret and bring 2nd and third fingers up to 5th and 4th strings, 2nd fret.
Works for me but I'm sure there's a better way.
Try http://www.guitar.gg he has a few videos that show chord changes.

I have trouble fitting my fingers in an A like Wes so I do

2r
2i
2m
-

ReplyQuote
(@rhilana)
Topic starter  

many thanks guys thats great - will be practising again today lol

ReplyQuote