Notifications
Clear all

A Few Questions..

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@totallyphillip)
Topic starter  

What kind of things are good things to start off with a guitar? What things shall I learn? How long would it take me to learn the basic open chords so I dont mute the strings?
Does anybody know any good ways of how to learn the fret board and strings? because when I see a tab and it says 5, 10, 8 I always have to stop and count where they are!
Cheers!

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

If you haven't already, I'd suggest checking out the Beginners lessons here at GN. Check out David Hodge's lessons, maybe starting with A Horse with No Name.

Following that check out some of the other lessons such as Nick's Fretboard 101 Part 1 lesson.

For a full list of the Beginners articles see here.

Beyond this, there are many ways to learn the fretboard and strings. Different methods suit different people. One such method is a free downloadable too called Fretboard Warrior.

Good luck.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Bennett covered it pretty good.

One thing to add is try learning some simple chord progressions that start to bring in a new chords one or two at a time and a couple of simple strumming patterns. To give you an idea of what I mean take a look at the strumming patterns on my web site.

As far as "how long" thats up to you and how much time you are willing to put in on a daily basis. There is no real formula for "when". Just practice and you will be surprised how quickly it will come to you.

Good luck and enjoy

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote