Clear all

a little off topic but worth mentioning:

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A great day happened today at the Lake house.

I was not raised a musician, I began playing when I realized my children could substitute TV for interaction, this happened about 18 months ago, I began by saying for every hour of TV we had to play at least 15 minutes of music. Radio, Cd's Player Piano (we happen to own a player from the 1920s and prolly 300 rolls) whatever you wanted but NO TV well that is when I began learning guitar. ( I am still rhytmically challenged to date)

My five year old decided he wants to play guitar. I didnt think he possessed the dexterity to play and told him learning piano would further his cause with the guitar when the time came, today I watched my five year old son full of excitement to play in his first recital. It was only six notes and 12 bars of music but it was a huge step. At 5 I never would have had the confidence he showed today, and as much as I enjoy my guitar he has expressed a passion for music I can only envy. I had no idea what I missed in life by not being introduced to playing music as part of my homelife, and I truly hope my boys all want to play music, I know I will play until I die, but boy did I get a late start.

It was a good day.

Peace.
Greg

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

It's always great yo hear when positive things happen for someone. Myself it was totally different, my dad played in the big band era and music has been my way of life. My daughter is 9 now she also has been exposed to music from day one. I know that feeling when your watching from the wings. Here's a couple photo's of Mopsey singing with a local band, I'm not sure her age here either 4 or 5. This was at the yearly party for the race cars and crew.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Kids will blow you away with what they can do. The brief history with my older son:

Before he was born, I'd play classical guitar at night next to his mom's belly
When he was 18 months, I got him in a 'wiggleworms' class to experience music with other toddlers
At 5 or 6 he did his first piano recital (I just watched the video of that about a month ago - he was so darn serious about it!)
At 9 he took up the French horn
at 12, he played his first symphony perfomance, with HS seniors
at 14 his first performance with an adult orchestra
at 16, an invite to perform at Carnegie Hall
he's now 17 and beginning to compose 'serious' music. He wants to be the next Danny Elfman, and I believe he will be.

my younger boy (the less talented one!) got his first drum as a toy when he was 11 mos old
he's now 14... plays with two rock bands, and has been getting paid to play for over a year; he's the tympanist with the HS district orchestra, and studies jazz percussion with the former house drummer from Ceasar's Palace in Vegas
three weeks ago he bought a bass from a friend of his. He's already better at it than some bass players I've worked with in pro gigs over the years

encourage music when they're young, and you'll never be able to drag it out of them. The best thing about kids and music: they've never been told they can't excel at it, so nothing stops them.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

If you don't object to country or folk music a mandolin or tenor banjo would be a start on freted instruments that a child with small hands could handle. I was watching the Tribute to George Harrison on TV tonight and Paul McCartney was playing a ukelele so if he's realy intrested there are instruments within his reach.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@grego)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

how in the world would one go about teaching a youngster on a Uke or mando, I want him to explore the instruments he wants to play but I am not exactly a musical genius and dont know how to help him learn these instruments.
At 5 years of age would structured weekly lessons be a bit too much or not, I guess the piano isnt any different lesson wise.

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

The basics of playing any freted instrument are fairly similar. Right now I'm transioning from banjo to the guitar. The tuning is different, cord shapes are different, the fingering is easier on guitars than it is on banjos (don't throw rocks, on a banjo you have different strums, pinches, & rolls to learn with the right hand).

There are books and websites for just about anything now. I would just find something for your son to play around with and have fun at this point. Encourage him and you will be suprised at what kids can do. They are starting three and four year olds on violins which are much more dificult to play than freted instruments (I've played doghouse bass for bluegrass bands, give me a bass guitar any day).

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

how in the world would one go about teaching a youngster on a Uke or mando, I want him to explore the instruments he wants to play but I am not exactly a musical genius and dont know how to help him learn these instruments.

I'd tune it to an open chord, show him how to strum and where to put his hand to get play a three chord trick. Anything to get him started.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote