Clear all

A proud uncle

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I went to visit my sister and brother in law this week and to my surprise my six year old niece has decided she wants to play the guitar. She started on dads old ovation acoustic. the body is way to big for her, but she was determined :D She decided she wants to play an electric guitar so dad set her up with his old silvertone electric. Dad gave her a old Mel Bay beginners book ( from about 1970) and a chord chart. She's teaching herself the chords and can play most of the basic chords pretty cleanly she can even pick out tunes by ear. She is working on "Sweet Home Alabama" She can play the opening riff using finger chords and a pick ( a little slow but her little fingers have a hard time stretching over a full sized neck. :D Any one have any suggestions on learning materials for a six year old? I just e-mailed dad Davids lesson on "House of the rising son" for her, she is very smart for her age, and I think she could handle that level as long as she takes it slowly.--the dog

BTW she has picked out a pink strat copy from MF ...Six years old and already has G.A.S. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

(@margaret)
Noble Member

Oh, that is soooo cool! 8)

I'd think she'd stay most motivated if she works on whatever music she likes the best.

You'd better start a coin jar for that pink strat.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Its started :D I saw a 1/2 scale strat at the local music store, but the sales person told me that a 1/2 scale guitar would be very hard to keep in tune. I think that a 3/4 scale would be good though. any of you music teachers out there have any ideas :?: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Two words: Daisy rock!!!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats awsome Dog.. My favorite performer started at six and now he is an incredible guitarist... More power to her. :D

No advice on songs :(

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hey, Dog,

1/2 size won't last her very much longer - I have a student who is eight and she's using a 3/4 size which measures up about right.

Why not start her off on a 3/4 size nylon string instrument. It should be possible to pick one up second-user for reasonable money and the strings don't hurt so much.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Uncle Ken

Please.... please.... please..... get me a Daisy Rock guitar.

Daisy Rock guitars are designed especially for girls with smaller hands. Several of their guitars offer shortened scales.

Daisy Rock Butterfly with shortened scale

Please, oh please Uncle Ken! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

My one...

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I vote for the Butterfly model!!!

And you MUST take photos of her playing it and post them here.

Why not spoil her rotten??? Let her pick out some really rockin' threads to match.

:lol:

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

I honestly and seriously believe that the lopsided ratio of male to female guitarists is a bad thing.

As different as females are, there's got to be whole ideas, methods, and styles just waiting to be discovered.

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Margaret

Just showed my 7 year old daughter those guitars, she likes the Butterfly too. :D

I would actually like to see a pic of a young girl playing that model, the body looks too big.

My daughter has been taking piano lessons about 9 months now and is getting pretty good, but she likes my guitars too. I might get her one of these.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Wes,

That's awesome about your daughter's musical interests! Bet that makes you :D . Sounds like you need to start a fund for her "toy" collection, too.

You may be right about the butterfly guitar having a large body. Hard to tell without any reference point. Wonder how they are weight-wise. Definitely factors to consider for kids.

And the odd shapes may not lend themselves to seated playing, either. Might have to check one out next time I'm in the store, just out of curiosity.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Margaret

Yes, I am very proud of my daughter, she has weekly lessons and really does well. She has played in church about 4 times now and played at a recital about a month ago with about 25 other students. Sounds like bragging, but only one student played better in my opinion, and he was about 14 and playing 3 or 4 years. He was very good. At the recital I sat on the front row, when my daughter played I heard someone behind me exclaim, "she is really good!" That made me very proud.

But she is no prodigy or anything like that. She is a normal 7 year old (8 in Sept.). Sometimes she would rather play with her friends than practice. She tends to rush through songs, we've had to tell her to slow down and play with feeling. But she's good, and I am amazed at how easily she reads music. It is also amazing to watch her little fingers go all over the piano so effortlessly.

She has a great teacher who is excellent with kids. He is very kind and patient, so I give all the credit to him. :D

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Wes wrote: she has weekly lessons and really does well. She has played in church about 4 times now and played at a recital about a month ago with about 25 other students. Sounds like bragging, but only one student played better in my opinion, and he was about 14 and playing 3 or 4 years. He was very good.
Wes,

I have taught piano off and on a few times over the years (to kids ages 5-12), so I can appreciate that she has learned a lot in a short time. Some kids just have a natural talent for it. That is really something, and I bet her teacher especially enjoys having her for a student. (I know how excruciating the lessons can be for the teacher when the student just doesn't "get it." :evil: )

We didn't have a lot of money growing up, but my parents made piano lessons available to all five of us for as long as we were each willing to take them. And school band instruments, as well.

I truly feel that kids who don't have the opportunity for music education are deprived. Your daughter and smokindog's niece are great examples of what role modeling and encouragement can do.

Let us know when you get your daughter that guitar. Didn't you say she has a b'day coming up?? Between her and smokindog's niece, GN could host the world's first online collaboration in the 6 - 8-year-old category, and girls, to boot. :lol:

Margaret

ReplyQuote