A small breakthrough

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

One of the things that made me give up guitar a long time ago was that I couldn't easily pick up things by ear.

Well, I've been trying to work on that, and my new teacher encouraged me to try and figure out one of the songs I want to learn (My Life). With some work, I was able to work out the initial lick, and I think I have the main chords, although I don't have them down pat. Still working on it.

But, that's not what really made my day. I have been listening to Layla by Eric Clapton, and there is a lick that's played over and over again, right from the beginning. Yesterday, I was sitting down messing around with the guitar, and I thought, let me see try it -- and I was able to play the main part of that lick almost without any work! It just sort of came together, right off the A-minor pentatonic scale I've been practicing!

That really made my day!

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

awesome dude, do you have any tips on developing the ear!

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

do you have any tips on developing the ear!

Not really, I still consider myself very bad at it. I was really surprised I was able to figure out this lick.

The two things I've been doing are:
- Trying to play the C major scale and hum each note
- Listening to the songs I am interested in many times over, and really trying to listen to see where the code changes occur, even though I don't know what the change is.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote