Clear all

A Telecaster Chose Me

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Have been looking for a second guitar of late - been playing an acoustic for about nine months or so now - so tried out a few different electrics today.

And whilst I haven't purchased just yet, I was extremely surprised to find myself leaning toward the guitar I least expected to like. :shock:

I deliberately went in with the attitude of going on the feel and sound of the guitar. Of course, it's nice to have a good looking guitar but the tele's always seemed a little drab to my eyes.

Nevertheless, the Squire Telecaster I tried seemed to fit me beautifully. And the sound made me want more.

I also tried a couple of strat's and an Electa Les Paul. The strat's didn't seem to fit me all that well nor did the sound grab me - however, I'm sure they'll fill a gap further down the track for me. The Les Paul initially didn't feel great but on having another look it actually felt okay. However, the sound didn't grab me as much as the tele.

So chances are I'll be picking up a new tele soon. Still not ruling out the Les Paul entirely, but I couldn't find a helluva lot about Electas - they seem to be owned by Ibanez and made in Japan - but certainly found some positive posts regarding the Squire Tele here at GN.

Anyhoo, thought I'd post this for other beginners as a lesson that looks aren't everything and to have an open mind.

Also if anyone has any comments about the guitars in question - positive or negative - that'd be great too.

Cheers.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Cool appraoch to guitar procurement.

Hmm, a Tele with two humbuckers - did you try the *thinking* 'Fat Tele' with one humbucker / one single coil - should be pretty versatile.

Good luck!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Is that the exact guitar? It does have a small radius, so there may be some difficulty getting the action down low for bends and such on the higher frets. On the other hand if you are doing a lot of chords and will likely buy another guitar, it's not much of a problem.

I like teles, though I prefer the single coil version. And you don't have a whammy bar to worry about.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That's the exact model I bought - and yes, it chose me! I was gassing for a Tele after seeing Status Quo....tried a few Fenders, but they didn't feel quite right - soon as I tried the Squier, I knew it was the one for me! With the added advantage that the Squier was 1/3 of the price of the Fender!!

Smokindog bought one about the same time, and I know Teleplayer likes Squier....

Anyway, if you get as many hours of pleasure out of it as I have from mine, then you'll be a happy man...

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

That's the exact model I bought - and yes, it chose me! Hmm, a new twist on the "It followed me home. Can I keep it?" routine. I wouldn't bet The Boss Lady would fall for it, but it might be worth a try. :lol:

I've got one Squier in my collection, a Bullet Special (single HB, no tone control) which I'm quite happy with. It's slated for some mods "some day," but right now it's in Double Drop-D for when I want to work on "Cinnamon Girl" or something like that.
Most of my gear is "off" brands, and I can't complain. (Although, like Joe Walsh, "sometimes I still do." :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, a new twist on the "It followed me home. Can I keep it?" routine. I wouldn't bet The Boss Lady would fall for it, but it might be worth a try. :lol:
Oh I don't know - half of our menagerie are strays so she really wouldn't have any recourse if a Tele followed me home. Oh, who am I kidding ... The Boss Lady ALWAYS has recourse. :roll: :P

Is that the exact guitar?
That, I'm not entirely sure about. I remember it in the shop being tagged as a "Squire Standard Telecaster" but looking on the website it looks nothing like the Standards listed there. The one in the link appears to be identical to the one I tried in the shop. :?

Hmm, a Tele with two humbuckers - did you try the *thinking* 'Fat Tele' with one humbucker / one single coil - should be pretty versatile.
Didn't really think of that option, but then my knowledge of electrics is limited. Hence, why sorta let it choose me.
:oops:

Anyhoo, thanks for the comments folks. After mulling it over during the night I'm pretty sure it's the tele for me. :)

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

That, I'm not entirely sure about. I remember it in the shop being tagged as a "Squire Standard Telecaster" but looking on the website it looks nothing like the Standards listed there. The one in the link appears to be identical to the one I tried in the shop. :?

Well, my memory is somewhat flawed. :P

The model in the shop is most definitely the same as that shown in the link (ie. a Squire Tele Custom). And how do I know this? Well, I just happened to pick the thing up today along with a Roland Micro Cube.

Woohoo for me. Geetar #2. 8)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Well, my memory is somewhat flawed. :P

The model in the shop is most definitely the same as that shown in the link (ie. a Squire Tele Custom). And how do I know this? Well, I just happened to pick the thing up today along with a Roland Micro Cube.

Woohoo for me. Geetar #2. 8)

LOL!!!!!

Congrats, Bennett!!! I love my Tele, also.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Congrats indeed Bennett! Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much you paid for it? $432 seems a little high - is that Australian or American?

I paid £135 for mine (British Pounds) which i think would be about $240 American...but I've no idea how to convert Aus S into Brit £.....

I ended up spending a lot more than that though - I wanted a cube amp, so when I tried it, I made sure I got to play it through a Cube - and I liked the sound so much I bought that as well! I was still in pocket, having been prepared to fork out for A Fender Tele - so I bought a bass and a 12-string as well! Bought spare strings for everything, a couple of straps, the usual bits and pieces - picks etc, then paid £10 for a taxi home - well I wasn't going to cart all that lot home on the bus! Oh I managed to get a couple of gig bags thrown in as well!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Wow Vic, thats a lot of gear for one day. I always wanted to do something like that.

Congratulations on the guitar Bennet, I've been looking around for one, but I haven't come across any. I really want to try one, and see how they measure up.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Congrats indeed Bennett! Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much you paid for it? $432 seems a little high - is that Australian or American?

I paid £135 for mine (British Pounds) which i think would be about $240 American...but I've no idea how to convert Aus S into Brit £.....

I paid $AU380 for the guitar (was listed in the shop for $499 - obviously quite high) and $AU210 for the Micro Cube (listed at $250). $380 Australian converts (roughly) to about $260 American.

I probably could've got it a bit cheaper still but was happy to pay a little more since it's a small local shop and I'm looking for that longer term relationship.

They threw in a lead and strap too, but had to pay for a gig bag - at $AU30 though.

Nevertheless, I'm quite happy with the purchase. :)

ReplyQuote