Clear all

ack

13 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

what do you do when you get frustrated with learning something... stop and take a break or just keep goin through the frustration... ;

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I put it down and concentrate on something else for a while.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Ditto. I'll try a few different methods of learning it.. But if I just am not getting it.. I move on and come back.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Exactly. Try something else, clear your mind. You'll miss it soon enough, and when you do, you'll be in the perfect state to learn and progress.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I find it very difficult to work through the frustration. It just puts more pressure on and hence leads to more frustration and the cycle begins again.

Definitely take a break. Don't give up though cos you will nail it eventually and you'll get a great sense of achievement when you do. 8)

I'm going through a bit of a sticky patch at the moment so I can sympathise. Got my guitar lesson this afternoon though so hopefully that will help out abit.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I usually stop playing it, find something much harder, and try that. Then I go back to the original item, and work on that some more.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Step back, walk away from the guitar for a day or so. No use getting peed off at something you are doing(I assume) voluntarily for your love of music. Something I do when finding myself taking it too seriously is put away all the lessons and scales etc and just fool around plucking and singing and acting goofy.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yes , take a break.Or play an easy song , or the one , which you know how to play perfectly.

But the disclaimer -

"Whoever you are , whatever you do , please don't take the guitar and smash it into the opposite wall."

(I have felt like doing this more than 10 times at 3 am , when , the Cmaj chord was bothering me too much , and later barre chords , but i am very glad , i didn't do anything woozy)

In a single word - Relax :) (and let your guitar do the same too)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Either put it down for a while or play something easy that you already know and can play well. I like the latter because it will loosen you up and you'll have more confidence when you go back to what' s giving you a problem.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I can work on a hard piece for hours on end, as long as I'm not frustrated. But as soon as I start beating myself up over it, I know it's time to take a break from it for a bit, one way or the other.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Personally I can see the value in playing through the frustration, and so I continue all the way up to breaking point, when i just simply cant nail the last bit. Ie. I can do the seperate times in seperate goes, but not all at once.

In this case, I reach the point of almost getting it. Then quickly distract myself with something relatively familiar with me, so that brain is no longer engaged, then I quickly jump back to what I was trying to do, with the comfort and confidence behind me from playing something I know I know.

Then 9/10 times it'll just click and I'll be able to play it through first time.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

In this case, I reach the point of almost getting it.

When this happens to me. I relax and try to play it about half speed. Usually 5 or 6 times through, and then go back to full speed. I find it allows me to refocus and gives me better feel for the flow, which is what is usually the problem.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Same here...just don't put it down for a week... :D

ReplyQuote