Clear all

Acoustic Bending Question

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Got out my acoustic and was trying the same piece as I'm working on with the electric. It calls for a full step bend, which I can do on the Strat.

But on the acoustic, even if I bend the string all the way up under the next two strings, it's still not sounding a full step, or even close.

Are full step bends even possible on an acoustic? How far can you stretch the string before it breaks or damages something else? And do you just keep pushing it up under the other strings?? :shock:

Thx!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Possible, just difficult since you're usually dealing with heavier gauge strings.

I just slide up instead.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It gets easier the closer to the twelth fret you get, so sometimes you can re-arrange the position. Play a string down but five frets up kind of thing.

I tend to avoid it lower than about the 7th fret myself as I don't like the strings I'm moving my finger underneath trying to seperate my nail from the rest of the finger *wince*. I convert almost anything that low down the fret board to slides - it sometimes requires a re-planning of the fingering, but that's no biggie most of the time.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your responses. This particular bend is on the 4th string, 7th fret. It just seemed impossible to get a full step up. Glad it's not just me.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ooops, forgot to mention that for difficult bends, if it's on a convenient string, I can get a lot more force behind a bend if I pull it down instead of pushing it up. That might help if you're not already doing it...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Also, set up the bend so you can use your ring finger (for the note you want to bend) and use your middle finger to help aid your ring finger with the bend. Heck, use three fingers if you have to.

Hope everything works out for you Margaret!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mike wrote: set up the bend so you can use your ring finger (for the note you want to bend) and use your middle finger to help aid your ring finger with the bend. Heck, use three fingers if you have to.
Yes, I do bend with the ring finger and the middle to help. Haven't tried three, though.
Misanthrope wrote: for difficult bends, if it's on a convenient string, I can get a lot more force behind a bend if I pull it down instead of pushing it up.
Seems like another good idea I haven't tried.

Thanks!

Margaret

ReplyQuote