Clear all

acoustic guitar problem

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@razzthekid)
Topic starter  

hi!
obviously im a beginner and have just started teaching myself to play the guitar. I have a steel string acoustic and am finding it difficult to hold down the strings (i know it sounds stupid!) but i find the strings are quite tight. Is there any way of resolving this? Possibly without having to buy new strings
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Maybe you have it tuned up too high. Is it tuned to the standard EADGBE? If not you might loosen the strings or tune it to a tuner. What sort of guitar is it?

ReplyQuote
(@razzthekid)
Topic starter  

as far as im aware its tuned to the normal tuning. not axactly sure what type of guitar it is!? its just a regular steel string acousit i think.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean by tight. It may be that you need to have the action adjusted. Let your local guitar tech take a look at it to see whether the action should be lowered. If it's too high, it would be more difficult to play.

And welcome to the musical madhouse.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hello,
Like mentioned earlier the action may be a bit high ( action is how far away from the frets the strings are)
Secondly is what type of strings?
You may consider going to a lighter string, maybe even extra light until you get used to playing and build up strength, and yes calluses, in your fingers.
Good luck to ya :D

ReplyQuote
(@razzthekid)
Topic starter  

thanks for all the advice!
unfortunately i can't really tell you too much about type of strings and guiter etc. cos it was given to me as a present and i am by now means a guitar expert!! basically all i know is it is a normal acoustic guitar with regular steel strings.
About adjusting the action..can i do this myself or is it probably better to get a tech to do it?

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'd have a tech do it.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

I know that when I started, the strings seemed really hard to fret properly, especially on the first couple of frets. Callouses and just getting used to the guitar have made it much easier now.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote