Acoustic strings!

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I know there is a similar post but I never been one to hijack :p I was re-stringing the worse acoustic you can imagine (unfortunatly this belongs to me lol) the reason is irrelevent at the moment, lets just say it's a bad guitar. Unfortunatly the strings depseratly needed replacing in the first place and as I was re-stringing it *snap*. Basically I would like to know which strings would be good for an acoustic and also what gauge. I am thinking nylon strings as for the gauge I have no idea which to go for, I am thinking not to low as I feel they would just snap again when fiting them to my monsterosity.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

First of all, I'd suggest that you NOT put nylons on a steel string acoustic. Second if it is a classical guitar, you have no choice but to put nylons on as steel strings may/will damage the guitar's bridge.

Strings. I always string my accoustics with 'lights'. If I buy from a place that has the strings behind the counter I ask for 'D'addario "Lights".

The D'Add... are just the brand I use, (always have) and the "Lights" are the gauge of the strings.

Then make sure you install, (Mount, wind, tension) them correctly. If you unsure whether you are or not, there are some great discussions with links down in the 'maintenance and repair' forum.

Cheers :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Assuming you have a steel-string acoustic but you want very low-tension strings, you might look into Martin "Silk & Steel" strings.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

First of all, I'd suggest that you NOT put nylons on a steel string acoustic. Second if it is a classical guitar, you have no choice but to put nylons on as steel strings may/will damage the guitar's bridge.
Cheers :)

I fear it is a bit late for this lol. It is a very, very cheap acoustic and i'm not sure it is ment to be a steal string acoustic (has steal string on at the mo') as they have cut into the nut and bridge :( I basically need a decent guitar though funds are extreamly low so I have to make do with it and replace the strings. Reason for wanting nylon as I think it will make the guitar more pleasent to play?

I would have initially gone for 'D'addario strings as I have heard good things. Was maily steal/nylon I unsure about and the gauge. Think I will try the 'D'addario 'lights' as you suggested Dagwood. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

DUDE!!! Stop!!

NEVER Put Steels on a Classical.. that's like putting GAS in a DIESEL car. NO NO NO NONONONONO! NO!

I'd suggest that you take your guitar into the store, Get over the fact that its junk, its still an instrument. Get the correct strings and have someone look at it to make sure there isn't any major damage done to your git.

If you don't you might REALLY mess it up and then you won't have a GIT to play at all.

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

I have put Thomastik John Pearse Folk string on an old acoustic (early sixties) guitar that I have.
They are special nylon string guitar with the treble strings of flatwound nylon around a steal rope core. This gives the treble strings a brighter sound (nearly as steel string).
These strings has given this old guitar a new life and a very good sound and easy playability.
http://www.thomastik.com/guitars/index.html

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Give us a little more info. If it is a slot-head (strings are in slots cut in the headstock, and it has no bridge pins (the removable things that hold the bottom of the string) it may be a nylon stringer. Be aware that nylon strings have metal wound lower strings that may appear to be steel strings. Don't use nylon on a steel stringer mainly because the grooves in the nut are too small. Don't put steel on a nylon stringer mainly because the neck is probably not strong enough for the pressure. Sledjhammer suggested using Silk&Steel, a good idea if its a steel another idea would be lighter strings like 10s or 11s. Most often a bad guitar will have a to high action and lighter strings will make playing easier (a good setup may cost more than its worth to do).

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

BTW theres 2 possible reasons that instantly come to mind for the string snapping when you restrung it. #1 you wound it to tight. #2 theres a burr on the bridge or nut.

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

DUDE!!! Stop!!

NEVER Put Steels on a Classical.. that's like putting GAS in a DIESEL car. NO NO NO NONONONONO! NO!

I'd suggest that you take your guitar into the store, Get over the fact that its junk, its still an instrument. Get the correct strings and have someone look at it to make sure there isn't any major damage done to your git.

If you don't you might REALLY mess it up and then you won't have a GIT to play at all.

D-

The where on to begin with. This is a disgrace but I used to have access to a Westone Thunder II but it was my ex's dads and when she went so did the guitar. Now my Dad had this cacky acoustic which he barely played due to arthoritus so I inherited it so to speak. Had steel strings on to begin with and looked liek they always been there and in desperate need of replacing...the fact that they made my fingers green backed up my theory.

So the strings needed to be replaced to begin with and not only that he had it set up for left hand so I had to re-string them so I could play it, these now battered strings had been removed and replaced and deffinatly on there way out.

As for the guitar itself causnorign, going from what you said it is a slot had and it does have little plastic pins at the other end which hold the strings in place. Now as I believe I said already the strings have already done the damge, have cut into the nut slightly and down the other end also where the action can be altered. I am not to concerned about this to be honest it's by far not a great guitar and I am using it mainly to practice untill I can get myself something decent.

Hope I answered everyones questions there?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Does the headstock look like this: Classical

or this: Steel String

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

second picture

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Then you have a steel string acoustic and that "cut" in the nut is normal. If you want strings that last a while and aren't really rough on the finger tips, I'd go with a light coated steel string. You'll pay a little more, but they last. Personally, I use Elixir strings on just about every guitar I own. I like every aspect of them. They last a long time, they look new for a long time, sound great for a long time and I tend to think they squeak less. All personal opinion though.

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Trust me on this, they have cut deeper, I know there ment to be like an indentation for the strings to sit in but these have burried themselves specially at the other end. Like I say though i'm not to fussed as I hope to get an electric guitar one day lol along with a decent acoustic.

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I went with your suggestion today Dagwood and i'm glad I did, thanks a lot :D

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I went with your suggestion today Dagwood and i'm glad I did, thanks a lot :D

LOL... which one? you took the guitar into a store? If so tell us what he/she said, what they did, (if anything), and do you like the results?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2