Clear all

advice please

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vik_tor115)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I feel like I'm stuck in a rut and need some advice. I have been playing since June 2005 and to sum up the skills I have learned: all of the notes up to the 4th fret, basic fingerpicking with simple arpeggios, changing between a dozen chords with most of their variations, basic chord theory. amd simple strumming patterns. I also can strum and sing to a few Beatles songs like Let it Be and Hey Jude.

Compared to many of the people here, I feel like I am progressing relatively slowly but that's not the problem I'm having. My main concern is the way I am progressing as a guitar player. I have been taking lessons from a guitar teacher for about a month, but I never really know what to ask him during the lesson. On one hand I want to learn the music that I like, but on the other hand I eventually want to pick up any piece of music and be able to sight read it (and play it in my own style). How should I go about accomplishing both goals?

Comments, suggestions, or stories from your own personal experience would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Victor

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Did you tell your teacher what you just wrote?

That should give him/her a good basis of what you want.

You just told us what you want......, but said you don't know how to tell your instructor...... tell the instructor what you just wrote.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Vik

One thing that looking at these forums has taught me is -

everyone progresses at a different rate!

some people reading your thread, who have also been playing about 5 months, will be saying "wow man, how come he can do all THAT!??!". Others will be saying "I could do that after a month!".

Be happy with where you are, sounds like you have laid a solid foundation and you are past the hard part where most people give up.

Pat yourself on the back, you're doing really well!

Now set yourself some ACHIEVABLE goals based on where you are and where you want to be, and work towards those goals.

all the best

Matt

ReplyQuote