Clear all

Alternate picking

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ariod)
Topic starter  

An article about alternate picking on Wikipedia says:
"Good" alternate picking involves a continuous up-and-down motion of the picking hand, even when not picking a note.

I've just started practicing alternate picking (been doing economy picking so far) and I'd like to ask, is the above really necessary? Does this mean that I need to do the up-down motion with my picking hand when I'm doing hammer ons / pull offs?

Thanks.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm....

I think this is an individual thing. I think I am a good alternate picker, and I have a good sense of time as well, but I do not move my hand up and down continuously. But I do feel the time in my body, kinda hard to explain. I always tap my foot when I play, I think that helps.

To me it is more a matter of playing with feeling and accent. My old bass player called this "the groove". If you get in the groove you can feel when the next stroke or pick is to take place. I guess a good example would be a reggae rhythm where you are mostly playing upstokes. I just feel for the upbeat (although you necessarily have to move your hand back down to play the upstroke).

Probably just caused confusion. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have to agree with Wes on this. I've read the same thing over and over again yet when I'd watch accomplished musicians I rarely if ever see them doing this and I find it difficult to do myself.

It's like Wes said you kinda have to feel the groove and go with it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote