Clear all

alternate picking for power chords

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm working on a power chord exercise from my method book. Its in 4/4 time, and each chord is an 8th note. It doesn't say whether I should use all downstrokes, or alternate (down up). If I just do all downstrokes, it doesn't sound quite right compared to the CD. With alternate strokes, it sounds right, but it's much more difficult...the up-strokes catch on the strings on the way up. (I don't have problems alternate picking single notes.)

So are power chords supposed to be alternate picked sometimes (for reasons of speed or to give a slightly different sound), or should they always be downpicked?

Also, is it my discretion whether to play power chords as two strings, or three strings? Is it simply that the three string version will sound a bit brighter?

(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

If the book didn't state as much than it's probably to your discretion. Are you near the start of the book? Look ahead to see if there is a section on alternating.

You definitely want to practise both down strokes, and alternating; and also it would be good to practise just upstrokes with a mute afterwards (ska). Do you have problems playing upstrokes with open and barre chords? If not, you may simply be concerned about hitting the wrong strings if you strike too hard. Precision will come with practise. Otherwise, try a different pick. Heavier or lighter gauge (most likely lighter). What gauge do you use now. Also different brands of picks have different flex in the center so you'll want to try them as well. I can pick a lot quicker with heavier gauges but cannot strum power chords quite as well.

You'll defintely want to be able to play downstrokes and upstrokes in any order if you want to play a variety of styles and not be confined in strumming patterns. You're right about speed and sound being factors. I find all downstrokes give more of an attacking sound, or punk rock n roll a la ramones. But alternating opens up a lot more variety for you and speed (not that you shouldn't practise playing downstrokes as fast as you can).

You're also on the right track with the two or three string question. Sound i think is the main factor although it goes further than that i think. The two string version is not quite as solid sounding, and has even more of a minor feel to it. The three string version is simply the addition of the octave (your playing 1, 5 and 8 of the scale instead of just 1 and 5). either way you can add different notes to the root note. Try playing open 6th string (e note) and the third fret of the fifth string (c note) followed by open 6 (e note) and 2nd fret of 5th string (b note). i know it sounds really dissonant. but hopefully you'll see my point.

Now try playing
6 open
5 2nd fret
4 3rd fret

followed by
6 open
5 2nd fret
4 2nd fret

These are the first two notes of Metallica's Battery. My point is, if you look closely, that using three strings opens up many more possibilities for playing off the root note. But it is easier to start learning how to do this with two notes.

Hope this long winded response helps.

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Sparrow...I actually appreciate your long-winded response.

I'm near the beginning of the book. I'm already past the part explaining alternate picking of single notes (no problem), but no mention of alternate picking power chords. A few pages later, I see some riffs from actual songs in which there are down and (a few) up-pick symbols above the power chords. So perhaps you're right that in this example, it's at my discretion. I'll do alternate for this example...that's what it sounds like on the CD.

I think you're on to something: I don't have much trouble up-picking open chords or barre chords, but the fewer the strings I must strike (or in other words - the more strings I have to avoid), the more difficult up-strokes are for me. So much of the problem could be hitting the right strings only (one of the most difficult things for me). I've been practising some more and it's now somewhat easier and I can go faster on the metronome.

I have about 25 different picks and I like to try them all out and see which I like best. I prefer stiffer picks for single notes but lighter ones for chords. Right now I find a good all-round compromise for me (for both single notes and chords) is about .73mm.

ReplyQuote