Notifications
Clear all

Amp Advice - Newbie

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@shaolindelt)
Topic starter  

About me - just starting out, zero playing experience and have a Squier Strat that is being set up in the shop right now. Looking for a good amp to start playing. Would like something that has a decent sound, but I know I'm now going to be good enough initially to really tell the difference. The big piece - definitely want one with a headphone out.

Music style - going to be playing a bit of everything, but not looking for a metal sound - more into cleaner jazz/blues, rock (Pink Floyd), Eric Clapton/SRV, etc.

Budget - would like to stay around $150-$250 to start out, but flexible. Definitely considering used as well.

Other Considerations - Being new, I don't understand too much how the amp affects playing sound (I'm sure I'll learn, but have yet to play a note through an amp, so . . . ) so part of me is thinking a good modeling amp with a variety of features. Something that maybe doesn't do anything super well, but does a few things decent enough for me to leave the amp and say "I want my next amp to do XXXX better".

I've found the following so far here in Louisville, KY (where I'm at)

VOX VT50
Peavey Bandit 112
Peavey Rage 158
Fender Champion 40
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Fender Mustang V2 (I and II)
Roland 20 XL