Notifications
Clear all

Amplifier Settings! Help Me Out!

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@reuchtje)
Topic starter  

i need a good set of settings to play a bit of metal, i want to have a clean sound to do solos and a raw sound to do rythm...

or maybe someone can just explain to me what the
treble, body and bass really stands for...

thx guys

Do what I want, cuz if I die, I don't...

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What kind of amp do you have?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

We can explain away, but the best solution here is really for you to just get in there and experiment.

To most beginners, the fine differences aren't immediately apparent, but if you start rolling things all the way down or up, you can tell what aspect of your tone you're really affecting. So hold your E chord, and roll your knobs up and down, and listen.

As for metal, the "traditional" sound of metal is generated by what is now known as "scooping the mids", which basically means cranking your bass and treble a little bit, and rolling your mids down or off. Generally speaking, you would want the "tone" knob(s) on your guitar all the way up for this sound, which should be sort of "biting".

What few people understand is that the scooping of mids initially started with players who wanted more volume, but less speaker break up, and hence they dropped the mids. Modern amplification systems have gotten to be built around loud, distorted sounds, and so the scooping has become more of "traditional sound".

About leads: what you may perceive as a clean sound (because you're not hearing any distortion, per se) generally is not actually clean, when it comes to metal leads. When you're playing notes of higher pitch under high gain, the primary effect is that it creates an artificially long sustaining note that tends to cut through the mix.

If I'm wrong here about what you're speaking of when you say "lead", and you're actually speaking of some truly clean metallica intro, I'll cover by saying I usually leave my EQ pretty flat for clean sounds: maybe Bass:5, Mid:5, High:6.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

what kind of amp do you have?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member

I have a Johnson 15 watt amp, Im currently into playing Nirvana and Ozzy Ousbourne/Sabbath songs, where should my amp be?

ReplyQuote
(@deadat27)
Trusted Member

I have a Johnson 15 watt amp, Im currently into playing Nirvana and Ozzy Ousbourne/Sabbath songs, where should my amp be?

ReplyQuote
(@reuchtje)
Topic starter  

thx for the help, ive got a fender performer 1000, ive got 2 distortion channels and 1 clean channel. i will experiment with the things ive read but it is so that i dont hear much difference between the sounds, but thx anyway...

grtz

Do what I want, cuz if I die, I don't...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If the amp has two channels you could set the 1st channel to the cleanest transparent setting you can. On the overdrive channel try turning the pre-amp gain to around 8 and the volume anywhere from 1/2 to 2 1/2 or more. Set the tone stack (tone controls) to their mid positions and work from there. that maybe a good place to start. Maybe even add an equalizer pedal in front of the amp.

Joe

ReplyQuote