Clear all

An Odd Question...

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Why don't you ever see 23 fret guitars? I'm sure that there are some out there, but I haven't come across one yet in my extensive 10 months of guitar playing. :wink:

Nirv

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Because the 12th fret upwards reflects the first 12 frets, just on octave higher. The 24th fret makes each string 2 octaves.

That's one answer, I'm sure there are others. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Another reason is pickup placement. If you add another fret to the neck you make it longer and need to set the neck pickup further down the body. There are engineers and design people who're much more qualified to explain this than I am... :wink:

But you can get baritone guitars which have longer necks if all you're interested in are more frets. Or some effects box to raise your tone an octave if you're interested in higher notes.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks David, I knew that 23 frets didn't give you that other full octave, but that still didn't explain why they make 22 fretted guitars as opposed to 23. It makes sense that a longer necks would affect the pickup placement. Explains why I'm not one of those engineer guys, huh? :lol:

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote