Clear all

another day tripper question

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@briank)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The E major scale is E, F#, G#, A, B C#, D#, E (I, Tone, T, ST, T, T, T, ST(root))
the beatles' day tripper starts out (on the low E string) E, G, G#, . . .
how is day tripper in the key of E (at least for the first riff) with that G? or am i getting something wrong here?

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The open G string is also played when you go up.
Anyway, not having the notation in front of me I would have to guess that in instances where G is played natural that it would be marked as natural in the notation as needed.
It is common to have individual notes marked sharp, flat or natural ouside of the key the music is written in.
Keep in mind when a note is specifically marked sharp, flat or natural it and any of the same notes within that measure/bar are effected. the next measure/bar goes back to the key signature.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The b3 (G in the key of E) is common to blues and rock melodies, so you'll see it a lot.

But that's not exactly what's happening in Day Tripper - it's slurred into the G#... so G# is the intended tone, and G is just a chromatic ornamentation.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

I am sure i have some of them on my Christmas tree......

ReplyQuote
(@occredneck)
Trusted Member

So is it an accidental or was the tab or Sheet music wrong?

If the river was whiskey and I was a duck, I would swim to the bottom and never come up. (Traditional Lyric)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

As Noteboat writes, the G gives it the bluesy feel. No, it's not a mistake in the sheet music. The G is an integral part of the riff. It is slurred into the G# on the riff over the E7 chord but is sustained in the riff over the A7 chord.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote